Using carboy for Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemarc

Reaction score
I am planning on using one of my 5 gallon carboys to ferment a California Common in. My question is, what's the best way to pitch the yeast? It's a dry yeast Saflager 1023 that will be rehydrated. I can't easily stir the wort to aerate it like I do in my fermenting bucket.

Are you planning to do a 5 gallon batch? Even if you use a blow off...you will need more room than a 5 gallon carboy.

I am planning on using one of my 5 gallon carboys to ferment a California Common in. My question is, what's the best way to pitch the yeast? It's a dry yeast Saflager 1023 that will be rehydrated. I can't easily stir the wort to aerate it like I do in my fermenting bucket.

How are you getting it into your carboy? Can you aerate the cool wort in your brewpot?

I agree with Slappy- fermenting a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy might not be the best way to end up with a 5 gallon batch. You might lose 1/2-3/4 of a gallon out of the blow off.

or you could go with a 6 or 6.5 gal carboy or better bottle. I prefer the BB tho. You would want to switch out the plastic buckets every so often due to the fact that the plastic is not impermeable. After awhile the bucket will get scratched inside and nasties can hide in these scratches. I would say switching them once a year is a good rule of thumb, but it depends on how much you brew. Save money and go with a carboy or BB.

I wouldn't do more than 4 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. If you are asking how to aerate in a carboy just get a solid stopper and shake the bejeebus out of it several times or use an aeration stone and a fish pump.

Back