Using Burton yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindenMan

Reaction score
I am planning to use Burton yeast in my next batch, as it's fruity character will compliment my upcoming apricot ale. (I hope) I have read it gets really aggressive when fermenting, and am wondering should I split my (5 Gallon) wort in half (2-6.5 gallon) buckets for safety's sake due the possibility of overflow? Also, is brewing with this yeast a bad idea at 72-74 F?
Any previous experience will be great help. Thank you.

MindenMan

72-74 is probably a bit high for that yeast. In my uses of it, it seems to like 68 F the best. Probably get more esters at the higher temps, but you could get some funky off tastes along with them.

I think a blowoff tube is easier than splitting batches, but to each their own, as yeah, if properly pitched, it will be pretty damn aggressive at first.

Brewing at 72-74 is fine as long as you're ok with some fruity aroma in the beer. I've used that yeast in the mid-70s before and the beers had a nice tart apple/citrus sort of aroma to them - nothing overwhelming, but noticeable. If you're brewing a fruit beer anyway it should be fine.

The yeast does spit out a lot of trub as it ferments (my bottles probably had at least double the usual amount of yeast sediment at the bottom from what I usually get), but with a 6.5gal bucket and a blowoff tube you'd probably be fine.

Latest posts

Back