Using Bottles from Store-Bought Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AImhoff88

Reaction score
I am new to homebrewing and was wondering if it is possible to reuse old beer bottles such as Budweiser and such. If I have a capper and caps, can I save money by using old beer bottles as opposed to buying new ones?

If that is possible, do all store-bought beer bottles have the same diameter at the mouth? Would a domestic beer versus imported make a difference? I know some imports have only 11.2 fluid ounces per bottle as opposed to 12. Would that make a difference also?

Avoid twist-offs, and you should be fine. Most cappers even have a reversible insert for doing larger vs smaller bottle tops. Just soak the bottles in hot water, the labels will usually peel right off.

Unless you have a bench capper than screwtops are out of the question. But yes we all tend to recycle microbrew bottles, any non screwtop will work.

So a bench capper can handle capping twist-off bottles?

...maybe, but is it worth it?

Buy beer bottles filled with yummy beer and there is no need to worry.

Strangely, Dos Equis had the best bottles I found.

What method do you guys use to bottle your beer? I don't know much about capping.

Also, do bench cappers need to be screwed down to a work bench or something, or are they free standing?

I use the little butterfly capper.......priming solution of sugar boiled in water, in the bottling bucket, rack beer onto solution to mix thoroughly.

Fill bottles, cap.

I dont understand the hate for twist offs. I used them for about a year with no problem before i moved to kegging.

free-standing. i put my bottles on the plate on the capper, put the cap on bottle, and pull the handle down. it's all self-explanatory, really, once you see it

I see that the bench capper is significantly more expensive than the butterfly (about twice as much). Are there any benefits of the bench capper? I will be using 12 fl oz bottles for 5 gallon batches, so I'll be using many bottles. Does the bench capper make the job easier or quicker? Would only a bench capper work with twist-off bottles?

Twist-offs have a higher tendency to let in air, and thus oxygen, hence the hate. As to the original question, I use/used a lot of Sam Adams and Leinenkugel bottles, and they have worked great.

Avoid screw top bottles at all costs! Most microbrews use non screw top bottles. Personally most of the beer I buy is in these types of bottles. Rinse after drinking and put them back in the six pack holders. One or two days before bottling fill up your bath tub or a 6.5 gallon bucket with the bottles submerged with a couple cups of oxy-clean. The labels and glue will come right off the bottles then clean the bottles in the dishwasher and SANITIZE before filling it with your homebrew.

About a week before bottling my second batch, I only had about 12 empties. I went to a Halloween party, had people save as many BMC bottles as they could, and I took them home.

I'm enjoying a Wheat Beer out of a Bud Light bottle from that party right now. Honestly, the twist-offs in this batch have had better carbonation than the Sam Adam's bottles I used.

This was, of course, using a bench capper.

I actually broke a few bottle necks off with my wing capper. The bench capper is much easier and a little faster. My seven year old boy capped my bottles yesterday. I have no problem with twist off bottles.

The problem with a bench capper when using store bought bottles is that you are not using the same height bottles all the time, and need to adjust the bench capper for each different style of bottle. That is why I used the wing capper, but the bench capper is way easier to use if all the bottles are the same size.

BTW, I did have several screw capped bottles in my collection, and never once had an issue with them with the wing capper. In any case, I'm glad I'm kegging now!

I just finished prepping about 50 for this weekend's 'festivities'. They're all in the dishwasher now 'sterilizing'. :)

Consequently, I have never used Oxyclean before this batch of bottles. I have always just used Dawn. I am now a firm believer! With the exception of some plastic labeled bottles, every single label slipped right off into the water on an overnight soak.

The problem with a bench capper when using store bought bottles is that you are not using the same height bottles all the time, and need to adjust the bench capper for each different style of bottle. That is why I used the wing capper, but the bench capper is way easier to use if all the bottles are the same size.

The new ones adjust to height automatically....

http://www.americanpoems.com/B000Q638P2/Bottle_Capper-Super_Agata_Bench_Capper_for_Homebrew.php

...... and it's made by Ferrari:rockin:

Back