Using an raspberry extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYeric

Reaction score
I am going to use a small bottle of liquid extract at the bottling stage. I am told to use 4-5 oz per five gallons.

Would there be any adjustment necessary to the amount of corn sugar used for priming, or would you still use the standard 3/4 cup?

Thanks

Priming will remain the same... have you ever used an extract? Okay, I have not, but I have heard overwhelmingly that it gives a very distinct chemical taste... apparently they are not very natural. Ever consider using fruit, or a puree in the secondary?

Nope I never have before. I have friends that have and they said it was ok. I hope that it is not off in its taste. I am hoping for just a slight hint of the raspberry.

I looked at the fruit puree, and it added so much cost to the brew, I figured I would give this a try.

I was just thinking though that the extract alone would add some carbonation. I wasn't sure if it would add and make it over carbed.

Crossin' my fingers

I used the blackberry to flavor a blonde and it tasted very artificial. Kinda like stale Koolaid or something. I will never do that to a beer again. Crushed fresh berries or the expensive purees are the only real choice in my opinion. Of course my opinion isn't worth much... Good luck

Well I'll find out in a couple weeks. I hope that it tastes OK. I could not afford the purees at the time.

I have had one person tell me they liked it. They actually put substantially more extract in the excess of two bottles for half the batch (2gal or so)

Looking forward to this weekend a nice Irish Red, I will be trying WLP004 this batch. I hear it makes a world of difference.

I used raspberry extract in a wheat beer once and it was pretty good. A lot of people liked it.

Try it this time and if you don't like it then do something else next time. Its not the end of the world.

I used extract in a Raspberry Porter that is conditioning right now. I was a bit hesitant, but was hoping that the strong, roasted flavors of the porter will help. I'm letting is sit for 8 weeks and will be cracking it open around Christmas.

I don't think that I would ever use the extracts in a wheat or blonde though.

I just botteled a Blueberry wheat ale this weekend and the recipe called for the extract and priming sugar. I cannot answer your question for another 3 or 4 weeks when the carbing is done, but the 4 oz bottle of extract said to only add 2 oz for 5 gallons, so I will see how it turns out. The recipe did use a can of blueberries in the ferminetor as well.

Anyone try using those sugar free Torrani's flavoring syrups they use for coffee and what not? They're around $6/liter and shouldn't effect the carbination or dryness.

Well, from all the "soapy" stories I've read, I tasted half a spoonful of the rasp extract that came with this raspberry wheat kit.

Soapy...yep. No doubt about it, that's the first thing that came to mind. This stuff will NOT be going into my bottling bucket...

Now what to do...keep it vanilla or try an alternate extract-type product like what you suggest Jesse...

I've used the rapsberry flavoring before in a cream ale it tasted ok. The next time I brewed the same cream ale recipe and used a can of oregon rasp puree. It was soooooo much better than the first one. It was $17 at LBSH, and you get a little jump in alcohol as it ferments a second time. I think its worth the extra.

CplHunter said:
Now what to do...keep it vanilla or try an alternate extract-type product like what you suggest Jesse...

I think you should try the Torani's stuff...then let us know how it worked, before I try it in my stuff. ;) Seriously though, I am planning on trying it one of these days, but I'm still working on the basics first. I was hoping that someone had already tried it.

Latest posts

Back