Using an Apple to edit pictures and make labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GloHoppa

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently purchased an iMac and i LOVE it. However, i don't have the slightest clue how to use Preview or iPhoto, especially in terms of making labels. Can anyone help me?

Sorry, I'm of no help. Have you thought about obtaining Photoshop?

Pretty sure you can get GIMP as well

Yea, you can't edit with preview or iPhoto i believe. Get Photoshop (or free alternative) to edit pictures. Get Illustrator (or free alternative) to create the label.

Your best free alternative is gimp but I wouldn't put it in the easy to learn category. Many will say it is nearly on par with the absurdly expensive Photoshop though and worth the time to figure out. There are many tutorials out there I know but I haven't had time to get into it myself yet. I spent enough time playing with it to know I was going to need a lot bigger block of time to do it any justice...

Your best free alternative is gimp but I wouldn't put it in the easy to learn category. Many will say it is nearly on par with the absurdly expensive Photoshop though and worth the time to figure out. There are many tutorials out there I know but I haven't had time to get into it myself yet. I spent enough time playing with it to know I was going to need a lot bigger block of time to do it any justice...

+1 on Gimp.

Also you can youtube tutorials or google them.

I don't think Apples work very well for photo editing. I would stick to Oranges and Grapes.

But seriously. GIMP is the way to go.
There is a learning curve, but every software package will have that. Even your iPhoto thingy. There are great tutorials on YouTube Gimp. I picked it up pretty decently for what I do with it. But I also had several hours a day at wok to play with it.

Quick off topic question. Does Gimp have a steep learning curve for people who have never used Photoshop, or is it hard no matter who you are? I use Photoshop and Illustrator, but am curious since I see so many people say it is hard to learn.

Quick off topic question. Does Gimp have a steep learning curve for people who have never used Photoshop, or is it hard no matter who you are? I use Photoshop and Illustrator, but am curious since I see so many people say it is hard to learn.

Gimp is quite similar to photoshop. If you have experience with PS then you'll be fine.

Back