Using a water filter for a hopback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drthrob

Reaction score
As part of an electric brewery buy, the guy I bought it from threw in a water filter (pic below) when I said I thought it might could be used as a hopback. I think if I removed the filter and threw in whole hops from my garden it would work. Ideas?

hopback.jpeg

My understanding is that a hop back is used before chilling, so I'm not sure the water filter is rated for near boiling temps. Something to think about...

Use it as a Randall

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think this is the way I will go with it. I will probably pick up a second housing to use as a blow off and keep foam down. Any idea on where to find 1" diameter 10" long stainless steel tube? I may check home depot tomorrow.

McMaster Carr for the SS tubing.

Would PVC be 'out-of-line'?

'da Kid

I did find some PVC at the house that might work. We'll see about using it if cannot easily find the SS locally.

I use that exact filter housing for my DYI plate chiller filter. I user a rolled up 300 micron ss mesh and pump hot wort through it and it works great. The solid white ones are not rated for heat, but the clear polycarbonate ones are.
I see no reason you couldn't use it for a hop back.
That pre filter is interesting... I wonder what mesh size it is, and if it's heat safe.

Yeah that filter will physically work as a hopback, but I would be very careful to see if the type of plastic it is made of is suitable for high temperatures. Plastics unsuitable for heat are going to leach chemicals in your wort.

As someone above mentioned it would make a great Randal. Randall's can give you a similar affect as a hopback, but also have more flexibility by allowing you to try several different infusion ideas per keg.

I am getting a second housing and building a two chamber Randall.

I am getting a second housing and building a two chamber Randall.

Something like this? Just watch those pressure relief valves. I lost a quarter of a keg when I unknowingly set it just right (wrong) on a bottle top.

1401284560176.jpg

Something like this? Just watch those pressure relief valves. I lost a quarter of a keg when I unknowingly set it just right (wrong) on a bottle top.

Yes. See the four screw holes at the top? I was going to use four screws there to create a stand so the release valve would not hit. You might try something similar.

Latest posts

Back