Using a pasta maker to mill grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the hopper idea a lot. I've been trying to figure out how to get a hopper attached without duct tape and you answered that for me

Success!!! Here's a picture of my ghetta fabulous pasta mill and the crush that I get with it. Does the crush look like it'll work alright?

grainmill002.jpg

grainmill004.jpg

I was using mine today to crush 21 lbs of malt and decided I had to rough the rollers up some more. When I was using the drill bit on it, the bit broke. The sharp, broken end of the bit roughed the rollers up much better than before it broke. The mill worked great! The rollers really pulled the grain through and I was done in no time.

+1 on tearing the crap out of the rollers - I'd used both a dremel and drill bit on mine but after a few pounds it started slipping and then nothing went through. Grabbed the bit, roughed it up more, and then was good to go.

I'm using a 3 liter bottle in a flat piece of wood, with weather stripping between it and the pasta machine. Holds about 4 pounds and works fine.

+2 on tearing the crap out of the rollers. At first i was afraid of damaging them w/ some good gouges, but just keep gong and they will actually become more uniform and fully marred. The rollers are so small that without a good "bite", they will not pull the grain through as well!

I have some good ideas for a cheap and easy mount and hopper using a couple of buckets, I will post some pics in a few days when I'm done.

Reporting back: I bought the mill today from Michaels. ~$16 with the 40% coupon.

Anyway, this thing is a lot more solid than I had anticipated. I'm going to try to mar up the rollers tonight, then think some more on the hopper/base. Thanks to those that have posted their hopper ideas so far. They look great! Let's keep them coming. I'll try to find a camera and post some pics once I get mine put together.

For you guys spinning one of these w/ a drill, can they take the punishment of higher revs and more tourque? Anybody bust one of these things yet? i'm interested in the long term viability of these units. How much grain have you put through and what if any troubles have you had??

I made one of these a couple of weeks ago. It worked well for the first two batches and I got about 83% effieciency but i was using a drill and it crapped out on me. I took it apart and put the bolts back on but it never did work the same.

I need to rough up my rollers more. Ground 8 pounds of grain today and it took a while. I need to take some pics of my hopper setup...

For you guys spinning one of these w/ a drill, can they take the punishment of higher revs and more tourque? Anybody bust one of these things yet? i'm interested in the long term viability of these units. How much grain have you put through and what if any troubles have you had??

I've run about 100 lbs. through mine using a drill and it's fine.

The only way I could see breaking the damn thing is getting a rock in your grain and having it be just the right diameter to get stuck inbetween the rollers and seize it up. Thereby snapping a sprocket....

If you are contemplating getting one because you can't see buying a cheapo pasta maker, banish the thought. These little things weigh in quite hefty. You are very surprised when you pick them up, how heavy they are.

You guys don't realize but these are in the art supply store because they are used to condition polymer clay...fimo, promat, sculpy etc..this stuff ain't playdough...It's a tough clay that needs to usually be ground up in a food processor first, or hand kneaded for a long time to use it...people used to end up with extremely painful hands (joint pain in the knuckles especially) until someone tried running it through a pasta machine, which was sturdy enough to do the job...

If oyu have ever used plastecine, you will find that some brands of polymer clay start out harder.

You are sometimes starting with a 1/4" or thicker slab, running it through the highest setting for a few passes, then gradually thinning it out.

tutorial-polymer-clay-4.jpg

PM1foldSide.jpg

Also, I plan on doing my first few grinds on a low torque setting on my cordless drill. If there is a problem, my hope is to have the drill stop turning (as it is supposed to) before putting too much pressure on the sprockets themselves. I realize not all drills have this feature...

CHEAP AND EASY PASTA ROLLER MOUNT AND HOPPER

As promised pics of the pasta roller mount and hopper. I already have and use a corona type mill that I am very satisfied with, but for 16 bucks I could not resist the temptation to play around. As I did w/ my Corona mill, I like mounting the mill inside a bucket. This keeps the mess and dust contained during the milling operation. Once the grain is milled, the bucket w/ mill inside is dumped directly to the mash tun.

required material:
two buckets w/ lids (I used a larger 6 or 7 gallon bucket for the mill mount to increase capacity, a standard 5 gallon is probably good for 12-15 pounds of milled grain? I used a standard 5 gallon joint compound bucket for the hopper, Homer depot buckets would work if you don't have any other options)
8 (eight) sheetrock screws 1/1/4"
four (4) washers
scrap lumber 2X4
Duct tape and cardboard, I used Gorilla tape from HD, the stuff is like nails!

Required tools:
Wood saw (your choice...a basic handsaw is fine, I used a circular saw, a jigsaw, chopsaw whatever, you just need to get it close. The plastic bucket will flex a bit and conform to the wood.
A good sharp razor knife to cut buckets
pliers to deform cuts in buckets
drill and drill bit to mar rollers
3/16" spade bit to drive mill

cost:
$16 for the pasta roller, everything else was "in stock" so i guess free. Can't get any cheaper than that, hah.

Rollers marred w/ drill bit. As you can see I rode the bit harder and longer than some photos posted previously. IMO don't be afraid while marring, a good bite is required on these small rollers, or the grain will not be sucked in, and milling will be slow.
HPIM0557.jpg

Mill mounted inside bucket, mill should be approx. 1/4" below top of bucket so that the bucket lid will be flush w/ the top of the mill when snapped down. I just chose to use 4 screws and 4 washers to clamp the edges of the mill down (two additional screws / washers cannot be seen in the photo. This is easy and effective. you could certainly drill holes in the bottom of the mill base and screw it down, or remove the mill base and mount it as others have done. This was just fast, easy and secure... DONE!
Note hole in side of bucket to recieve 3/8" spade bit to power mill.

HPIM0558.jpg

Mount 2X4 inside bucket w/ sheetrock screws, this is simple, and much sturdier than you would think. I don't bother drilling pilot holes as the screws are sharp enough to just be turned in by hand. yea, I had it perfect the first time, but thought the mill was too low, so I moved it up a couple of times only to realize I was dead on the first time. The extra holes bug me!

HPIM0560.jpg

lid cut to fit mill opening. Use pliers to shape bucket lid as it takes a bit of force to deform the HDPE lid.
HPIM0561.jpg

hopper bucket w/ cardboard hopper insert, hopper bucket sits on top of mill mount bucket. Note, bottom of hopper bucket is cut similiar to lid shown above to nest w/ mill bucket below. This is actually very sturdy and should stand the test of time. The creases in the cardboard are just from being forced to conform w/ the bucket. In no way is it collapsing! Cardboard hopper insert is secured w/ "gorilla" duct tape from home depot. The stuff is tenacious and sticks like hell, you could probably tow a car w/ this stuff. A bit pricier than standard duct tape, but worth it for this application IMO!
HPIM0563.jpg

bottom of hopper bucket, fits into lid of mill mount bucket. Bottom of hopper bucket is cut similiar to top of mill mount bucket shown below. Use pliers to deform bottom of bucket similiar to lid shown above so that the two nest together.
HPIM0564.jpg

Milled grain ready to be dumped into mash tun

HPIM0562.jpg

Close up of mill mounting w/ screws and washers. Hole in side of bucket aligns w/ drive gear of roller. 3/8" spade bit through hole to drive mill w/ power drill.

HPIM0559.jpg

Hopper on mill w/ drill

HPIM0565.jpg

The crush...I may tighten it up a bit, the larger pieces are either hulls or fractured grains. I use a braid and don't fear some flour.

HPIM0567.jpg

Full cover installed, milled grains await brewday.

HPIM0568.jpg

Wow, that is just great. I hadn't thought of mounting the mill so far down in the bucket for fear of not being able to turn the rollers--the hole in the side of the bucket seems to fix that issue. I have some more thinking to do on this. Great setup!

Yea, lot of options, I also thought of mounting the mill in a "bottomless" bucket that is inserted into an empty bucket. When you are done milling you just remove the mill / bucket and the milled grain is left in the lower bucket.

I'm working on a setup with a bucket as a hopper, some sort of slide-away door at the bottom. This sits on top the mill, which is encased in wood with the (future) motor. It sits on top the MLT. I measure into the bucket. Carry it to the brew-room and set it on top of the MLT/Mill and mill directly into the mash water. Still testing and tweaking this design.

Nice idea with the buckets.

How about just cut the bottom out of one bucket. Mount the mill all the way on the bottom and insert your round guide to create the hopper out of the bucket.

A couple long screws in the bucket as a support on the edge of a catch bucket lip and you are good to go.

How about this?

If the "funnel insert" isn't removable, the mill is trapped and can't be adjusted or serviced? Oh sorry (edit) I get it "insert" yea. Might work well but that is three pieces involved and that makes it less "simple" j/k. Each different set up has pros and cons...having the mill in the grain bin is not really a problem as I have done this w/ a Corona mill. It's all good!

Ok...but as sketched you have to hold the mill above the catch bucket somehow?? Directing the grain once milled is tricky as it wants to "all over".

Oh edit again...missed the long screws to hold the mill...roger. Probably work well, build it and test it!

I again applaud wilserbrewer for his work, but above all... taking the time to snap pictures of this project. We all know a picture is worth a thousand words :D

Your helping many folks on here including me :rockin:

A brand new Micheal's opened down the street and I got a Grand Opening coupon for 50% off any item in the store. So I just picked up one of these pasta/polymer-clay machine for $12. Now what do I do? Run my drill over the rollers at their narrowest setting? Sounds crazy, but I'll try anything.

Now what do I do? Run my drill over the rollers at their narrowest setting? Sounds crazy, but I'll try anything.

What worked well for me was to run the drill w/ about a 1/4" bit on the rollers at the point where the rollers come together. One hand running the drill w/ bit, and the other hand spinning the mill to distribute the "damage". Basicly you are just taking the drill bit and using it to damage or scar the rollers.

Your helping many folks on here including me :rockin:

That's the beauty of this method...simple and easy, cheap and effective...posting a method that requires a boatload of tools sometimes isn't of as much value...a guy who has a boatload of tools most likely has already made a hopper, or has his own ideas.

A brand new Micheal's opened down the street and I got a Grand Opening coupon for 50% off any item in the store. So I just picked up one of these pasta/polymer-clay machine for $12. Now what do I do? Run my drill over the rollers at their narrowest setting? Sounds crazy, but I'll try anything.

It is hard to explain how to scar the rollers because it is soooo easy everyone thinks they are missing something.

Nice idea with the buckets.

How about just cut the bottom out of one bucket. Mount the mill all the way on the bottom and insert your round guide to create the hopper out of the bucket.

A couple long screws in the bucket as a support on the edge of a catch bucket lip and you are good to go.

How about this?

If you cut the bottom off the bucket, couldn't you just turn the bucket over, put the grain in the cut out bottom, and the wider lip would rest on the lip of the lower "catch" bucket? Might negate the need for extra screws, or maybe you could just clip the two buckets together somehow since the lip diameters where they meet would be the same...?

I'm sure there is a better mouse trap...go ahead and build it. I'd love to see some improvements.

Oh and BTW, i discovered a big pitfall of the bucket mounted pasta roller, I will be taking the hole saw to the side of the bucket adjacent to the adjuster knob so you can make adjustments while the hopper is full. duh? didn't think of that.

Well, I just picked up one of the Amaco "polymer clay" models from Jo-Ann and with the 50% off coupon in their latest flyer (available in-store), it cost me a grand total of $12.50. I'll be mounting it in a bucket and throwing together a hopper soon so I can finally crush my own. My LHBS doesn't allow customers to set the roller gap on their mill so I never get the crush I want.

Reporting back on my progress so far:

I picked up two Homer buckets, and tried to fabricate a system where the roller would sit between two lids, with one bucket on the bottom to catch the milled grains, and one bucket on top, sans bottom, as a grain hopper. Somewhat like BargainFitting's idea above, but using one lid in place of the board with some cut outs in the lid so the mill would sit "in" the lid (with a hole under the mill rollers for the milled grain to fall through); and another lid in place of the funnel insert, with a hole in it to direct the grains to the middle of the grain mill.

I'm not ashamed to admit this idea ended in failure. ;) Plain and simple: the Homer lids do not like to be cut. Once you cut them, they tear apart VERY easily. Mine literally disintegrated in my hands when I tried. Luckily the lids are dirt cheap and easily available, so it's not a huge loss or anything.

Back to the drawing board. I'll probably use the nestled board as the grain mill holder next time, and use some sort of plastic bowl or funnel or something as the funnel insert in the top bucket...

Brewed a dubbel/belgian porter sorta thing last night using my pasta roller mill. This was my first batch using some of the bulk grain I bought and the pasta roller. I still had some of the grain left from lmy last batch (Imperial Porter that I got horrible efficiency with). It was already milled and I wanted to use before it was stale. The crush on it was so much more coarse than the stuff I milled myself, I'm pretty sure that's why my efficiency was so low. Hit my OG this time dead on at 70% efficiency. I'm hoping milling all the grains myself from now on will bump it up a few more points.

On the topic of cutting the homer buckets, if it was me I might try softening them in a sink full of really hot water first. Might help take away some of the fragility of the plastic.

Homer bucket lids are soft as butter compared to the brew bucket lids I've gotten.

Kind of proud to say I don't own any Homer buckets, never felt the need to "buy" a bucket.
I seem to almost trip over free buckets all day long. The "spackle" joint compound bucket lid i just went to inspect seems damn near bullet proof. I swear if you put some notches around the rim you could use it as a saw blade.

Back