Using a NEST thermostat for temp control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cameronbrown

Reaction score
Anybody thought about using a Nest controller to control their fermentation chambers?

This is my current setup: A coke fridge with an STC1000 rigged into it (quite nicely with a stained wood panel at the base?

I've never used a nest but I'm thinking that it would be a pretty elegant and simple solution to control from the internet or via the smartphone app. Maybe just a few less features than a Brewpi?

tiki.jpg

Personally, and I don't want to break your crayons, I do not think it will work. I am sure someone with more HVAC/Electrical engineering knowledge can reply as to the specific requirements to attach the low voltage thermostat to the 110V supply. But from a practical matter, I have found the Nest to be great when working, but highly temperamental with respect to update,s low battery warnings, and its desire to be connected to Wi-Fi.

I think that you could build a RaspberryPi solution for less money have have a much more user friendly result. In fact, I am sure something that would accomplish your goal already exists.

Cheers. Makes sense about the low voltages. I just have access to a few free ones and it got me thinking. I'm more than happy with using my STC1000 but I also really like the Brew Pi setup.

Cheers. Makes sense about the low voltages. I just have access to a few free ones and it got me thinking. I'm more than happy with using my STC1000 but I also really like the Brew Pi setup.

If you have a few free ones than you could def do this. It should be relatively straight forward. HVAC signals normally run on 24V AC. If you do a search for a 24V AC relay all sorts of stuff comes up. Just find one that is speced for 120V or whatever your house is and wire it up to a plug and plug your fridge in.

The ONLY thing I would worry about is putting a nest into a potentially wet environment. Does it happen to have an optional remote prob? That would be cool.

Send me one and I'll wire it all up and show you how its done :)

So did some research. Not that bad.

You would need:

1 x Nest
6 feet of thermostat cable
1 x extension cord 6-10 ft prob(to be hacked up for wiring and plugs and such)
1 x 24 VAC to 120 VAC Solid State Relay (or more depending on how many things you want to control)
1 x 120 VAC to 24 VAC Transformer
1 x box for wiring stuff up in
1 x wall outlet

That's it. Prob like $60 all said and done if you don't need a nest. The nest would require no real hacking so would be fully intact if you wanted to pull it later. :mug:

Anybody thought about using a Nest controller to control their fermentation chambers?

This is my current setup: A coke fridge with an STC1000 rigged into it (quite nicely with a stained wood panel at the base?

I've never used a nest but I'm thinking that it would be a pretty elegant and simple solution to control from the internet or via the smartphone app. Maybe just a few less features than a Brewpi?

No, because those things are ridiculously over-priced.

Back