Using a NEMA 10-30 outlet to power a Hotrod equipped with a 5500 watt element: Can it be done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The L6-30 receptacle is for your dryer which is on a dedicated 30A/240V breaker? If so, then I think this adapter will work. But you definitely should not brew without GFCI protection. Since you're not in a position to change the breaker, you're going to have to get some kind of inline GFCI. Those are pretty pricey AFAIK.

Why not put a NEMA 10-30P plug on the Hotrod cord and skip the adapter? Replacement plugs are cheap.

I use a 120V Hotrod on my kitchen stove. I don't remember if it's 1650W or 1800W. The Hotrod will almost boil 6 gallons of wort all by itself. It probably would boil it if I insulated the kettle.

I would not do electric brewing without GFCI protection. Since you are renting, the cheapest option would be to make an extension cord with a spa panel in the middle of the cord. Pre-made 240V GFCI extension cords all seem to be $200+. You can put a 10-30 plug on source end of the cord, and an L6-30 receptacle on the load end (just like the adapter cord you linked.)

Brew on :mug:

The L6-30 receptacle is for your dryer which is on a dedicated 30A/240V breaker?
The L6-30 is on the hotrod, while the 10-30 outlet is what I assume to be an old drier outlet. It says 30 Amps .and 125V/250V on the outlet.

Why not put a NEMA 10-30P plug on the Hotrod cord and skip the adapter? Replacement plugs are cheap.

I use a 120V Hotrod on my kitchen stove. I don't remember if it's 1650W or 1800W. The Hotrod will almost boil 6 gallons of wort all by itself. It probably would boil it if I insulated the kettle.
I would not do electric brewing without GFCI protection. Since you are renting, the cheapest option would be to make an extension cord with a spa panel in the middle of the cord. Pre-made 240V GFCI extension cords all seem to be $200+. You can put a 10-30 plug on source end of the cord, and an L6-30 receptacle on the load end (just like the adapter cord you linked.)

Thank you for the excellent suggestions z-bob and doug239cz. Time to break out the soldering iron!

When I upgraded my brew system to electric I went with a 240V/50A BCS Control System. Two 5500W elements and two 120V pumps. I used a spa GFCI.
The big issue I had was venting the steam out of the house. When the HLT and BK both working it can put two gallons of moisture an hour in the air. How did you address that?

When I upgraded my brew system to electric I went with a 240V/50A BCS Control System. Two 5500W elements and two 120V pumps. I used a spa GFCI.
The big issue I had was venting the steam out of the house. When the HLT and BK both working it can put two gallons of moisture an hour in the air. How did you address that?
A steam condenser works wonders.

Back