Using a MinnKota trolling motor to motorize my MaltMill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am familiar with eth sheeve size calculations for getting the right ratios and finally the proper (desired) RPM.

I have this Old, basic, battery powered, Minn Kota trolling motor and a battery but, no boat (long story) and I was thinking about cannibalizing this to attach to my mill. Of course, it will take some "creative engineering" to devise the best mounting for the motor and controller once they are cannibalized from thir original housings but,

Is there any reason this won't work?

The motor is rated at 55 ft/lbs of thrust. I have tried looking for other specifics (HP or Torque) on similar trolling motor by MK and haven't found anything. I am just not sure if this will be enough, or worse, too much power/torque for my MaltMill. Or if I'd be better off trying to sell this thing on CL.

I would sell it on craigslist. I would bet this will be far too much torque... For what you will get for it (depending on it's condition) you can easily get a cheap motor and drive systems and probably money for other brewing gear. Sorry to hear there's no boat for the trolling motor. Atleast it wasn't a Motorguide!!!

You've got the motor, give it a shot. It must be variable speed so you can run it on slow speed and try and figure out how fast it's spinning in order to figure out a useable sheave size. It should easily have enough torque for what you need. Anyone can buy the right part, making it from scratch is the fun part.

If you do it, you MUST connect the mill directly to the original propeller shaft!

I say this only because I want to add the picture of the finished product to my "You Know You're a Redneck HomeBrewer When" album :D

If you do it, you MUST connect the mill directly to the original propeller shaft!

I say this only because I want to add the picture of the finished product to my "You Know You're a Redneck HomeBrewer When" album :D

Just for you!

I may take a picture of the trolling motor in action as a mash stirrer. :rockin:

Just clamp it to the side of the kettle and let her rip.:cross:

That is WAY more motor than you need to run a maltmill.
Unless your name is Tim the tool man and you have a hemi on your weed wacker, sell it and use the money to buy the right tool for the job.

Just remember, Duct Tape is rated for 100MPH but only 3.5 ft/lb of torque so you can't use if for a driveshaft.

Seriously though, I had a (small) 12vDC motor here with 48:1 reduction and it wouldn't turn my mill (1.5" by 8" rollers), so if you can test it without destroying it, that would be best, because you could always sell the MinnKota and buy a dedicated 1/2" gear reduced drill for the cash. Plus you'd get to DIY the drill setup and still get your redneck fix!

I actually have a corded 3/8" drill I have been using. I haven't mounted it to anything yet and it's a PITA to use when brewing alone. Usually I'll take a cable tie over the trigger to hold it at speed and wedge the drill against the top of my mill station so it's not going freestyle while I add grain to the hopper.

The TM was meant to be part of a boat sales I just made but the buyer doesn;t fish and didn;t want it (still paid my asking price too) so now I have a TM and no boat. It's a really old TM and not worth much so I thought maybe it's be a good opportunity to re-purpose it. I figured that if it worked alright then maybe the next step would be to find a way to get it off of the battery.

You prolly are right tho'. Not worth the trouble and would be better to just mount a drill motor and fix the speed.

Back