Using a glove as an airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aschewolfe

Reaction score
Hahaha, hi everyone. So I was all ready to get started on my first home cider brew when, after putting all the ingredients together and nearly finishing, I noticed that the stopper that goes with my airlock is actually just ever so slightly too big to fit in the glass jug that has everything in it. I don't have any other bigger jugs either. I noticed online it said in a few places people used balloons. For now I've got a latex glove on it, I don't think its even creating any pressure yet so its not a problem, but what do you guys think? Can I use a glove? What are the pros and cons of it? Can you think of anything better I might be able to put together in the meantime?

A glove is fine. You can put a tiny hole in it to vent. That'll hold you over until you get the proper stopper. While I might get some flak from the sanitation police, I'll offer that a piece of aluminum foil is just as good for the first few days.

A pinhole in each fingertip. A strong rubber band to hold it on. Should look pretty good when CO2 production begins. As long as there is pressure inside the fermentor nothing will be able to pass inward.

My glove feels that it is better utilized unaltered as a means of keeping oxygen out during cold crashing...
I apologize for it expressing itself in such a rude manner.
I think your idea could work personally. However a blow off could be disastrous!

When all 5 fingers extend, does that mean the beer has reached its cold-crash temp? :D

Right now, it's just flipping you off.

If that's any indication of how happy those yeasties are for chilling them down, you're in trouble. lol

When all 5 fingers extend, does that mean the beer has reached its cold-crash temp?

Yup. It's kind of like when the mountains turn blue. Except my beers suck.
...so it's exactly like when the mountains turn blue

I am thinking foil with a rubber band next time might do the trick a little better won't have to worry about that glove blowing up inside your cider.

Back