Using a freezer to both ferment and store keg..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMClark2210

Reaction score
Ok so I'm doing a red lager shortly wyeast 2007 Pilsen lager yeast strain. Now I want to both chill my kegged beer and ferment at the same time but don't know what I should set the temperature and then idk what psi to it to. I'm new to the keeper thing so let her rip and give me some good tips and advice. Thanks in advance

passedpawn said:
Are you making a pilsner or a wheat beer? If pilsner, 2.5 volumes CO2 is correct. If hefeweisen, you've definitely got the wrong yeast.

I have already made 5 gallons of German wheat in and kegged it already. I was trying to find out what to set the co2 reg (it's at 20 psi and is 50 degrees) to while at the same time fermenting my red lager.

I have already made 5 gallons of German wheat in and kegged it already. I was trying to find out what to set the co2 reg (it's at 20 psi and is 50 degrees) to while at the same time fermenting my red lager.

I think you left that very important part out of your OP :D
Basically look at it as:
1) Set the temperature for the correct fermentation temperature of the lager (remember if you are measuring the ambient air in the freezer the fermetation will be a bit higher than this)
2) Set the pressure on the carbonating keg to get the appropriote CO2 volumes at the temperature selected in step #1.

mattd2 said:
I think you left that very important part out of your OP :D
Basically look at it as:
1) Set the temperature for the correct fermentation temperature of the lager (remember if you are measuring the ambient air in the freezer the fermetation will be a bit higher than this)
2) Set the pressure on the carbonating keg to get the appropriote CO2 volumes at the temperature selected in step #1.

Yeah prob was a bit misleading lol. I'm gonna tape and insulate it to the fermenter once finished to keep it closer to the fermenter temp

Back