Using a CO2 fire extinguisher for Keg CO2 source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorWoland

Reaction score
A friend is currently sourcing me a cheap and brand new CO2 fire extinguisher. Here's all other my kit, can you let me know if I need any more?:

2.5 US gallon Cornelius Keg
Regulator
Gas line fitted with connector for regulator (just trying to remove hose clip at the other end to remove a push fit that was already in it)
Grey gas in connector with John Guest Speedfit
Party tap

Also, just wondering if I filled the keg and took it down to my mates, so we could crash carb it there for some really foamy pints, would the beer oxygenate from the air in the head of the keg? It would be a bit of a journey.

Could I fill the keg all the way to mitigate the risk?

I think it would be fine. In the future, it is always better to hit that headspace with CO2 and purge out the oxygen. But if you fill it very full (thus increasing the beer:headspace ratio), and keep it upright the whole time, you will mitigate the risk

I think it'll be OK (only one way to find out though!)

I've many times driven with a keg in the passenger seat with a seatbelt on it. And then if I take a sharp turn, I can stick out my hand to hold it in place. It looks really silly, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

I'm more curious to know if a CO2 fire extinguisher is food-grade gas or if it is in any way different from a regular CO2 tank

I'm not convinced that it is a good idea to use those. Are they NSF or food grade? I cannot find any information on that one. Either way, I suppose what doesn't kill you will make you stronger, right?

What is the discount that you received?

There was a guy here on Homebrewtalk a couple years ago who converted a fire extinguisher into the CO2 tank for a portable system. It was pretty badazz. I did a quick search and couldn't find it, but if you have some time maybe you can track that build down!

I think it would be fine. In the future, it is always better to hit that headspace with CO2 and purge out the oxygen. But if you fill it very full (thus increasing the beer:headspace ratio), and keep it upright the whole time, you will mitigate the risk

I think it'll be OK (only one way to find out though!)

I've many times driven with a keg in the passenger seat with a seatbelt on it. And then if I take a sharp turn, I can stick out my hand to hold it in place. It looks really silly, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

I'm more curious to know if a CO2 fire extinguisher is food-grade gas or if it is in any way different from a regular CO2 tank

When CO2 is marked food grade it just means the tank has to be stored in doors. All CO2, tanks marked food grade or not, are filled from the same place.

There was a guy here on Homebrewtalk a couple years ago who converted a fire extinguisher into the CO2 tank for a portable system. It was pretty badazz. I did a quick search and couldn't find it, but if you have some time maybe you can track that build down!

Double post

From what I've read you can just take off the hose and it is the same fitting as a standard regulator behind it.

I'm not convinced that it is a good idea to use those. Are they NSF or food grade? I cannot find any information on that one. Either way, I suppose what doesn't kill you will make you stronger, right?

What is the discount that you received?

I should get it cost price.

I use a CO2 fire extinguisher for a CO2 bottle. Just had the handle changed to a valve. The fire extinguisher shop was a bunch cheaper than the welding store, for the tank. At my local welding/gas shop, they really prefer you swap to refill, that way they can charge extra for tank rent. FE place its no problem. If they aren't busy they refill right then, but usually I drop off and pick up the next day.

I use a CO2 fire extinguisher for a CO2 bottle. Just had the handle changed to a valve. The fire extinguisher shop was a bunch cheaper than the welding store, for the tank. At my local welding/gas shop, they really prefer you swap to refill, that way they can charge extra for tank rent. FE place its no problem. If they aren't busy they refill right then, but usually I drop off and pick up the next day.

I was just planning to use a clamp on the handle at the moment.

Wow! Fire extinguisher place were amazing! They gave me one before it had be converted, so it still had a valve on!

So that was a 2kg CO2 tank for £30! I own it. Future refills £5!

What a great company!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393059746.558955.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back