Using 2 pots for 5 gal batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germ

Reaction score
I am brand new to brewing and plan on starting my first batch in the morning. My problem is that when I got the starter kit as a gift I did not get a 5 gallon pot with it. Can I use 2 different pots that would total 5 gallons? I have 2, 22qt pots that I could use. Idea's? Minus the obvious buy a bigger pot which I cant afford yet.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the dumb question.

What kind of kit did you get? A lot of extract kits only do a partial boil, about 3 gallons and top up with water to 5 gallons in your fermentation vessel.

I have a true brew equipment kit. Would boil over still be an issue? I don't expect this batch to be amazing being as it is my first but want to give it my best go.

You have a 22qt pot? Isn't that a little over 5 gallons?

Like already mentioned, if it's an extract w/grains kit you probably aren't boiling much more than 3 gallons anyway.

As far as boil over, I never had a problem with it on my stove because it never got hot enough. Once I started using a turkey fryer it became a problem but all you have to do is take it off the heat when it starts to foam up, or you can use an anti foam agent like Fermcap-s or similar product.
The kit question was did you buy an ingredient kit?

Yes I don't really know your finances but Walmart has aluminum pots - 4 gallon for 14.99. I've made three brews with mine and it works awesome. Might be worth a shot until you can afford a big pot with a thermometer and valve on it

When using an aluminum pot you are supposed to take care to condition it by boiling water in it for awhile and not scrubbing the residue off.

I used 2 pots for a while (in the kitchen) before I moved to an outside setup. My pot sizes were also different, so I calculated hop amount ratios and made sure to keep different timers on each boil. It worked fine, though a bit of a hassle to watch 2 boiling pots.

I used 2 pots for a while (in the kitchen) before I moved to an outside setup.

Yeah if you have to, it certainly works. I just did tonight actually, my 2 smaller 12qt pots get a much better boil on my crappy stove than a single bigger one.

I use a 2 quart pot for a 17 gallon batch. Alls I do is top off dem phat fermentors. Cheers!

Back