uses the grain after mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlloret

Reaction score
what to do with all the grain after mashing?
I take a small part of that to make bread, but what can i do with the rest?
I read about dog cookies (it is not my case), chicken, ... Do i need to store the grain in some special way?

I'm wasteful, I trash it. If you don't remove the residual moisture and cool it down quickly it will begin to rot and stink almost immediately.

Bread? How do you substitite grain for bread flour? I have a recipie for beer bread that uses a warm flat 12 OZ beer for the liquid in a quick (no yeast) bread.

Spent grain bread
Excellent compost (Green matter compost, it will stink terribly without composting it with brown matter!) Spent grains are actually higher in nitrogen than unspent grains.
You can just use it as mulch on top of or around plants in a garden, the decaying nitrogen acts a lot like using grass clippings. The way that it mats does well to keep weeds out, but it will stink quite a bit.
When composting or using as mulch be aware that animals LOVE LOVE LOVE spent grains, it better be inside a fence, or some container of some sort.

We use it to make bread (just added to a regular bread recipe). We also make wild hog bait. We add corn, strawberry jello and diesel. Let it "cook" for a while covered up, then we did a hole and put the bait in. Texas Wild Boar with a Rauchbier!

dog treats but i have to be honest, ive been putting extra peanut butter in them lately and have been munching on them myself

Dog treats and mulch:

Dog Treats (my recipe):

4 cups moist spent grain
2 cups all purpose flour
2 TBS bacon drippings
1 cup peanut butter

mix place on sheet pan bake 1 hour at 350....turn off the oven crack it an allow to cool completely....if you want crunchier treats, bake at 200 until they are as crunchy as you like.

If you add some salt they are pretty tasty!

I compost it right away with a lot of carbon-type compost. In the spring and fall it all gets mixed into my garden and converted to heirloom tomatoes.

Mike

For those of you that make the doggie treats how do you dry the spent grains out? There is an awful lot of water still in there and it is a good 10 pounds or more of grain. The recipe I have already. I am just trying to figure out how to dry them out. Also how can I dry them out and then freeze them if I want?

For those of you that make the doggie treats how do you dry the spent grains out? There is an awful lot of water still in there and it is a good 10 pounds or more of grain. The recipe I have already. I am just trying to figure out how to dry them out. Also how can I dry them out and then freeze them if I want?

Generally, after you mix all of your ingredients together, you put them on a cookiesheet into a pressed layer and score them in the shapes you want them to come out as. Bake for about a half hour at 350. Break them apart and put them in the oven again at 225 for about 4 hours. After that long in the oven, they're bone dry.

Where abouts in Rochester are you? Are you a member of UNYHA?

I usually spread them evenly on cookie sheets and throw them in the oven on a lower heat. For a bread recipe that requires 3 cups of flour, I use about 3/4 cup of spent grain. I also use a fair bit of it in a hot cereal/porridge recipe.

Generally, after you mix all of your ingredients together, you put them on a cookiesheet into a pressed layer and score them in the shapes you want them to come out as. Bake for about a half hour at 350. Break them apart and put them in the oven again at 225 for about 4 hours. After that long in the oven, they're bone dry.

Where abouts in Rochester are you? Are you a member of UNYHA?

So you are saying to take the grains when they are still wet and then make the recipe from there? What if I would like to divide them up and freeze then for another time? Would they need to be dry before packaging or could I just put them in a baggie still wet?

Also I live in Irondequoit. I am aware of UNYHA but have not attended a meeting.

Hey pwndabear. I just noticed your name here. Might you be the same pwndabear that is on the Knighthawks forum?

Hey pwndabear. I just noticed your name here. Might you be the same pwndabear that is on the Knighthawks forum?

haha yea man thats me. you should come out to the merchants grill on wednesday for the UNYHA meeting.

As for the grains, I've never needed to freeze them as I always have enough for the next batch of treats from the most recent batch of beer i've made.

I always put mine in a baggie and right into the fridge. Though my grains are never WET persay, though still very damp, ive never had an issue.

I see your postings on the Hawks site all the time. I am quite certain you and I have spoken on line in the forum as well. I go by the same name there - Iceman6409. I am the one with the big long posts all the time. The one who ends it with "just my stupid humble opinions"

Tell ya what. I am always there before every game. Never missed one, never will. If you show up to the Stock for the last two games ask the bartender, Katie, who I am. She knows me and I always sit at the bar. Be fun to meet a fellow Rochester brewer.

Back