uses for trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLExpat

Reaction score
Aside from making a yeast starter (I think. Still learning and may have misread something) is there anything else I can use the trub for? SWMBO asked me that and it got me thinking.

trub is the coagulated stuff left over after the boil. you would not want to use it in a starter. I think you may actually be referring to the yeast cake thats left over after primary fermentation. In that case, there are a couple of different ways you can store that yeast - some people will "clean" it, which i have never done - and store it.

Something you may be more interested in if you are doing AG brewing is making doggie treats with the spent grain. I saw someone on here do that!:)

Trub is useless except for harvesting yeast for re-use. It's a fairly easy process and there is a sticky on the fermentation and yeast section:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

As mentioned above, trub is hot break, cold break, hop break, and live and dead yeast that settle on the bottom of your fermenter. The only thing brewers want out of that is the yeast.

Something you may be more interested in if you are doing AG brewing is making doggie treats with the spent grain. I saw someone on here do that!:)

If you use extract kits that contain specialty grains you can use those to make doggie treats or you could try making an "artisan" loaf of whole grain bread...that's something I'm experimenting with at the moment

Stardust said:
If you use extract kits that contain specialty grains you can use those to make doggie treats or you could try making an "artisan" loaf of whole grain bread...that's something I'm experimenting with at the moment

The spent grain is lower in calories since the sugars are extracted so they are perfect for low cal breads. I've even heard of breweries selling spent grain to bakeries to offset costs. And I've made the doggie treats, they are awesome and I even nibble on one every so often. Just make sure they are very dry as grain tends to mold quickly.

Back