Used vs New - Need Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjconway

Reaction score
I posted a wanted post for kegging stuff on craigslist. I had a guy reply to me that he had 6 corny kegs, co2 bottle, regulator, etc. for $150. Says he hasn't brewed in a while and the stuff is in his attic. I'm going to call him in the morning for more details, but I wanted to get general opinions before setting up an appointment to see the stuff. (I don't have any more info at the moment because he said he wouldn't be around to call tonight.)

I see you can get a 2 keg setup from Midwest for $200 and I've read a few people got them for 10% off, which brings it to $180. I don't know how much shipping is from them.

For the sake of argument, I'm going to assume the co2 stamp is expired and needs retesting, and all the o-rings and stuff in the kegs need to be replaced. These are expenses I wouldn't have with the Midwest setup. I figure I don't need 6 kegs and I could probably sell 3 of them for say $20 apiece fairly easily, bringing my cost (before the expenses of getting the tank retested and replacing the seals) to $90.

I'd like some suggestions and opinions on this or other pros/cons I haven't considered. Thanks in advance.

It's a no brainer if the kegs aren't badly damaged. Kegs will run you 20-25 a pop. Regulator maybe 35. You didn't say what size co2 bottle, or if it is aluminum or steel, but I'd still guess 40 minimum for a 5 lb bottle. Plus you don't have to pay for shipping which can add up quick.

Many of the keg kits sold from online vendors include refurb kegs, so you are not getting new. Only pressure tested with new o rings usually.

Co2 tank recert I think is like 35, and o ring kits for kegs are cheap. I think like $3-$5

There is also the possibility to swap out theco2 bottle = $0 for cert

I have 3 kegs
I have not used my 3 kegs yet (waiting on parts)
I want more than 3 kegs

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was thinking last night that selling 3 was a good way to justify to my wife. I may reconsider and keep the other three (assuming I do buy the stuff).

As for the used kegs, you can buy the O-rings from McMaster Carr for $16.00 and that will be 100 O-rings for the dip tubes, 100 O-rings for the post and 10 O-Rings for the lid seal. Those will last a long time!!!

you'll kick yourself for getting rid of half your kegs. Someday... you'll want them and you'll probably end up paying more than if you would have just kept the ones you had!

Cleaning? fill with water and PBW (or cheaper OxyClean Free - it's unscented and no dyes) soak it for a few days and shake it up every so often. Pressureize and run through your dip tube... Finally rinse, fill with sanitizer soulution (I use Star-San) and store until you are ready to fill with beer!

And as said above! just got to a supply shop and swap out the CO2 cylinder! Shouldn't cost more than $20.

GET THEM! Keep all the kegs, you'll want em, (I started out with 2, went up to 8, and now up to 13...still need more). Exchange the tank instead of refilling it, (mine is 13 to exchange a 5 lb, 16 to exchange a 15 lb), and don't worry about test date on the tank.

Kegconnection's kegs are used too. So no difference there. Get the Mcmaster Orings and you are golden.

As I understand the midwest regulators are kind of cheap. I bought a two keg kit there with the 10% off and two more kegs from morebeer!. I wish I could have found a deal like that. I spent over $30 when I handed over my shiny new 5lb tank for a ugly old one.

As I understand the midwest regulators are kind of cheap. I bought a two keg kit there with the 10% off and two more kegs from morebeer!. I wish I could have found a deal like that. I spent over $30 when I handed over my shiny new 5lb tank for a ugly old one.

Did you shop around? That's 2.5x what I pay for a 5 lb exchange....call some welding gas companies...

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to go take a look at them on Friday. The guy said he had a bunch more brewing equipment, so I'm hoping to score some of that for my brother in law who lives 2 miles away. He wants to get into brewing, and it would be really cool to have another brewer that close.

Back