Used too small stopper...am I in trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsan

Reaction score
Just realized I used a smaller stopper on my 23 litre carboy as it wasn't very snug (was sitting kind of loosely in the hole). Shoved it in and left for a week's vacation. Am I going to come home to spoiled cider?

most likely you will be fine. It is possible that wild yeast or bacteria got in and will give you an off flavor. Some oxidation could occur but it sounds like your getting a pretty decent seal. You'll know if your batch is infected either when you bottle (your bottles might explode or you might see infection in them) or when you try the final product (it will taste off). I'd be willing to bet your all good though.

It is completely ruined. Please wait until it finishes fermenting, then bottle it and send it to me for proper disposal

i would think that as long as the cider is fermenting, there will be a slightly positive pressure of CO2 inside the carboy that would keep the air (or most of it) out. in my inexperienced opinion, you're fine.

conrad

Back