Used scented Oxy-Clean, what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmnop

Reaction score
So I filled my carboy up with hot water, put in 3 scoops of oxy-clean, scooted the carboy to a corner to sit for the night, carried the box of oxy-clean to the laundry room when the handle broke, the powder spilled everywhere, and the smell of perfume filled the hall. Super.

So now my question is: how screwed am I? I rinsed it out twice, and still had tons of residue left. I found this comment about using vinegar to get the residue out so I put in a bunch of vinegar and filled it back up to the brim with hot water again.

I don't have one of those carboy jet wash sprayer things, and I don't think my LHBS stocks them.

I don't want to ruin my next batch of beer, what should I do now?

Rinse it well several times with COLD water. White vinegar or Star San should eliminate any residue. After you rinse the carboy thoroughly, give it the sniff test. If you detect anything at all, fill it up with hot water and allow to soak overnight or longer. Next day, rinse again with cold water. That should do it. I think the first rinse with cold water will do the trick.

For future reference, 3 scoops is two more than you need for a carboy. That is if it's the big square scoop in the tub.

_________

Great, thanks, I'll go give it a few rinses with cold water.

Probably just stick to something like ABW in the future.

just a quick update: three or four good rinses with cold water and it smelled like nothing at all inside. shockingly a tiny bit of kraesen residue survived all of that, so I filled it up with hot water and it's soaking with some ABW now.

Thanks for the help Catt & wildwest

Not sure I get the appeal of PBW. Its active ingredient is very similar to Oxiclean, but it costs roughly 4x more.

+1 The PBW is way over priced IMO. Oxyclean works just as well and so do the generic versions. PBW is a good product no doubt, but I cannot see paying the price when there are much less expensive alternatives.

to each his own, ive explored the differences between the two, they are not carbon copies of each other. for me, PBW rinses easier and cleans better.. i buy it 8# at a time and it lasts me a real long time. im not a super cost conscious brewer though, im not doing this for any money saving reasons, im doing it because i enjoy it. i think i will see if i can get a 5 gallon pail from one of the local wineries next time i need some and pay wholesale cost...

+1. IMO, it works better too.

In my experience, PBW does a better (faster) job of getting rid of soda odors in a used Corny Keg. Either way, I tend to use the PBW on my cornies and oxyclean on everything else.

I recently started using b-brite works great a busts up beerstone in an hour soak. 3$ a tub and a tub is good for about 12 Tbsp. So it makes about 12 gallons.

Back