Used PBW Instead of Sanitizer-Is the Batch Shot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txstars15

Reaction score
Well, this was a total screw-up. When bottling my last batch which is now fermenting in the bottle, I used PBW instead of my usual sanitizer to rinse out the fermentation bucket, all the bottles, and all the other stuff that came in contact with the batch. I simply grabbed the wrong jug without actually reading the very plainly marked PBW on the side. Bummer. Is there hope for this batch or will it all be spoiled from not using a true sanitizer. Please say its okay!!

Did you rinse off the PBW at least? If not I would not hold out much hope. You can wait and see though. I personally would dump it if you didn't rinse because those chemicals can be nasty stuff.

If you did rinse it out then nothing to do but wait and see. I would assume you should be fine. As long as the buckets were somewhat clean hopefully there would be enough alcohol to kill any nasties. Shelf life may be reduced so you would want to drink it faster than normal but that is not a bad problem.

I did the same thing on my 1st batch or two. The LHBS re-packaged the PBW & labeled the bags as a no rinse cleaner/sanitizer. I did mix it to the proper minimum dilution. Using it the same way you did,being well drained,it didn't hurt the beer or us at all. Thank God it's food grade in the proper dilution.
So as long as it was well drained,it should be fine by my experiences.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, all items were thoroughly rinsed with hot water and started out super clean to begin with. I always sanitize because its just too much of a waste to lose a batch.

Star san is a no rinse sanitizer; I am confused when you did the hot water- before or after application of the PBW?

To clarify, I have been using a sanitizer (brand eludes me for the moment) that does require rinsing. I sanitize thoroughly with this stuff then rinse it off with hot water and proceed. I've had no problems with any other batch doing this. I do have some StarSan but was simply using up the other product first. I do recall that when mixed correctly, it gives a 200ppm chlorine level for the sanitizing.

Back