US05 in Soured wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzy2001

Reaction score
I kettle soured a Berliner to 3.9ph with Omega Lacto blend. Boiled for 15 mins with .5oz German Tettenang. Added a whirlfloc and yeast nutrient. Rehydrated the yeast in boiled water cooled to 90F. Cooled the wort, added O2 and pitched the yeast. I put in in my ferm chamber set at 64F.

I'm at 36 hours now and no activity. Is this pretty common on acidified wort? I've read that it is, but wanted to make sure.

Also at what time should I try to add different yeast. OG is 1.038 so it should be an easy ferment aside from the ph.

Thanks

I followed the same procedures as you for my US-05 gose and it worked fine. My PH was actually a lot lower than yours down to about 3.4. Give it a bit longer.

I'm going to check the gravity later and make sure it's not just a non vigorous fermentation. If it has t moved then I'll probably repitch with some water adjusted closer to the ph.

Repitched last night and it's bubbling this morning. Yeast must have been bad I guess.

Back