US Golding hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
I bought a couple of pounds of US Golding pellets on ebay and I wondered if they would work in a brown ale.

The original recipe calls for 1.5 oz cascade bittering and .5 for aroma. Wasn't sure if the Golding would work also.

Consists of 7 pounds light LME, 1 lb crystal 60, 1/2 lb brown, 1/2 lb carafa steeping.

Sure will, won't be the same as cascade, but will still be a very good hop. US Goldings are a bit earthier than cascade.

In your opinion is that a good dual purpose hop for a brown ale?

Absolutely, most brown ales are not over 40 IBU and typically more malty than hoppy. Cascade are more of a fruity hop, and Goldings have a bit of an earthy spicy taste. Depending on style of brown, it will be a great hop. Versatile for both American and English styles.

Just to add my 2c, I've noticed that US Golding is earthier/spicier than English East Kent Golding. The English original smells & tastes like herbs & lemongrass to me. Great staple of English beers.

I'm sure I'll have a nice brown ale. Also substituting the carafa 1 with debittered black malt.

I've not used that hop before but I prefer a flavor/aroma more like that (I use Liberty, Willamette, or Mt Hood usually) for a brown. For non pale/IPA's actually.

I think I'd prefer your hop swap. But then I just haven't had a brown with a citrusy type hop. Maybe I should seek one out.

Looks like the alpha acids are about the same as the cascade.

I wonder if I should do the 1.5 for bittering and 1 for aroma rather than just .5 for aroma. Maybe that would be too much?

Were it me I'd likely place it around 20 mins for flavor instead, but I don't see why there'd be a problem with a larger aroma addition.

Do you use a brew calculator?

Well this beer turned out nice. Just kegged the other day.

I let it sit in the secondary for a little while due to space issues.

Perhaps I'll do 2 oz of the Golding for bitterness next time to reduce the sweetness just a shade more.

Back