US-05. Worthy of a 1.080?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EineProsit

Reaction score
Brewing plans for 5 gallons tomorrow. 1.080 og beer, Only one sachet of Us-05 on hand, should I wait till later or, is my "use by 2/17" up to the task

Might take longer to kick off but it will get the job done. And also might crap out early. What FG are you trying to reach

Yeh, it will work. Even better if you have O2 to oxygenate.

People might say that is under pitching... but I've done it. No off flavors and hit high krausen in 24-36 hours.

To be on the safe side id step nutriants maby a tsp of kdap and the other at day 2 of ferm to help keep it chuging.

Brewing plans for 5 gallons tomorrow. 1.080 og beer, Only one sachet of Us-05 on hand, should I wait till later or, is my "use by 2/17" up to the task

I've pushed it on a 1.060 with 1 packet in the past and turned out okay, but 1.080 could stress the yeast. If you really feel the need to brew with 1 packet maybe dial back the recipe to 1.050 - 1.055 and oxygenate well.

Might take longer to kick off but it will get the job done. And also might crap out early. What FG are you trying to reach

1.010 FG , its a Firestone Walker Wookie jack clone. Wookie Jack calls for Dry English ale Wlp007, or 2 sachets of US-05. At least the recipes I see.

I've definitely used 1 packet 05 for 1.075, maybe even 1.078, and been totally fine.

Just do everything else by the book as far as rehydrating, oxygenating (or shake the living daylights out of it), yeast nutrient, etc.

Back