us 05 not attenuating like it use to

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
has any one noticed a lack of attenuation lately with us 05. my last 8 batches have all ended at 1.020 regardless of the SG (1.060 to 1.090) mash temp is always 150 to 154. ferm temp 68. Please keep in mind i have been brewing since 93 and have checked all the obvious possible reason. bad hydro, bad thermo, mash temp. cant figure out why

I’ve had no issues and I use this yeast a lot. A bit more info would help give clues where to look. Based on your sig,you are brewing with other yeasts, have you noticed similar lack of attenuation (I assume not)?Do you brew with other dry yeast? Any behavior specific to dry vs white labs or wyeast? Do you rehydrate before pitching? How many batches of Safale 05 have you experienced this with?

I’m a strong proponent of splitting batches. Brew a full batch, then split in half—change only the yeast, how you do that depends on your answers to above questions.

-Jeff

I’ve had no issues and I use this yeast a lot. A bit more info would help give clues where to look. Based on your sig,you are brewing with other yeasts, have you noticed similar lack of attenuation (I assume not)?Do you brew with other dry yeast? Any behavior specific to dry vs white labs or wyeast? Do you rehydrate before pitching? How many batches of Safale 05 have you experienced this with?

I’m a strong proponent of splitting batches. Brew a full batch, then split in half—change only the yeast, how you do that depends on your answers to above questions.

-Jeff
i have not used any other yeast in a while and never had this problem before with s05. i have used it in 10 consecutive batches all with the same ending result. it never used to stop @ 1.020 before thats why i dont understand why its doing it now. mash temp all in the 150 to 154 range. checked my thermo and its calibrated to 32 all of them used 2 to 3 packs us 05 hydrated and un hydrated. oxygenated, ferment temp 68. at a loss here. is there something in my equipment set up that would cause this. normally us 05 chews through every thing and hits 1.010/.012. i even bought a second hydrometer thinking mine was bad, no change

10 consecutive batches screams that it is a process issue.
Since you have noted this on un-hydrated as well as hydrated, that can be ruled out.

My guess would be mash temp. Is your mash therm. a dial-type? If so, see if you can beg/borrow/steal a mercury or alcohol thermometer that goes up to ~150 range and check your dial thermometer at that temp. If you're off by a few degrees -- mashing at what you think is 150 should not result in what you're seeing; however mashing at what you think is 154 could result in a real high FG.

Depending on your results from above, you could consider mashing at 147 and see how it comes out. If you think it might be yeast related (I don't see how...but I wouldn't rule it out) do a split batch. I would get some WLP001 or Wyeast1056, brew a full batch of a 'normal' gravity beer (~1.055) -- pitch half batch with Safale05 in one fermenter, half batch with White labs or Wyeast in the other fermenter. If you're full batch is 10 gallon, make sure you use a starter for the liquid yeast; if you're full batch is 5 gallon (2.5 gallon for half batch, no starter needed). I would expect both batches to finish high. I suppose you could mash low AND split the batch, the scientist in me typically doesn't like changing too many variables, but if both finish normal, that would suggest mash T is the key.

Are you cropping this yeast or is it new packets every time? What are the dates on the packets and do you know how they were stored before you bought them?

In the past 2 months I made 2 Black IPAs and 1 IPA using US-05. the black IPAs had some specialty malts and the IPA only a bit of CaraBelge.

The AA was 72 and 77% for the Balck IPAs and 80% for the IPA. It possibly seems inconsistent to me, but the beer that only had 72% AA was due to the mash temp. and the ridicolous amount of unfermentables. But the other 2 were fine, at leats for me.

I however, although not having many years of brewing behind me, think US-05 is a bit sensitive to mash temp. and the amount of crystal/unfermentables in the grain bill.

Just did a dipa. SG at 1.070. Threw in 05 not rehydrated, oxygenated. 24-36hour lag. Got down to 1.010. Lower than I’d like but mash temp was lower at 152, as I changed my process.

US-05 is my go to yeast. I have used it on at least half my beers. It finished high on a coffee stout, but that beer was mashed with a messed up thermometer. The last time I used it the beer attenuated well.

Back