US-05 mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h-bar

Reaction score
I am making a double IPA tomorrow, and I was going to use US-05. Thinking that I would need more cells for a bigger beer, I decided to make a starter. I then found out fifteen minutes later that this would be over pitching and would cause off flavors. :drunk: As soon as I found out, I put the whole thing in the fridge to stop any further growth. Have I saved my beer, or should I just get new yeast?

I typically don't use dry yeast. I just assumed that a starter would be a good idea, since it is for liquid yeast.

Unless you're only making a 1/4 gallon of beer or something, I really don't think you'll over pitch enough to have any problems.

Anything over like 5 gallons and 1.060 usually gets 2 packs of US-05 if using dry yeast. I usually make a smaller beer and then use the cake for 5-6 generations.

Dynachrome: Not an option, I can barely do 5 gallons with the space/equipment I have.

I found a thread on hbt that said fusel alcohols would be produced if that many cells were pitched into 5 gallons.

I highly doubt you would get any off flavors from a starter with US-05 unless it was a massive starter and low OG brew. I would have let it ride and just not pitched the entire starter saving the rest for another batch. Either way, should be fine.

Let the starter run, and use it. You will not have any problems.

What size starter did you make, and for what OG brew? I agree with the rest of the posts, you probably won't have any issues as long as you let the starter finish out and then use it. Overpitching is far less of a problem than underpitching, and you would have to overpitch by quite a bit to cause any off flavors.

Another question is why make a starter with dry yeast? 2 packs of dry yeast cost less that a vial of liquid yeast and a starter.

I have read a bunch that state, making starters with dry yeast is actually worse that just re-hydrating.

I, also would say that you would be unlikely to experience anything detrimental by overpitching. Unless you went REALLY overboard. Just let the starter you made finish, then pitch it. It should be OK.

What size starter did you make, and for what OG brew? I agree with the rest of the posts, you probably won't have any issues as long as you let the starter finish out and then use it. Overpitching is far less of a problem than underpitching, and you would have to overpitch by quite a bit to cause any off flavors.

One liter. 1.081 OG.

kh54s10, I didn't realize how many cells are actually in one packet of dry yeast. I usually use liquid yeast, which does require a starter usually. I made a poor assumption.

That is a very small starter for a dry packet of yeast. A 3L starter is about as small as you should go to have a healthy growth rate... Next time maybe use a second packet for best results.

I was originally told something different, but good to know for the future.

Does this mean that the starter I have won't grow much, or will be unhealthy/less viable?

I am currently have a similar situation. making an IPA tomm, 1.070 OG. I bought two packets of us-05.

Mrmalty says to use 1.3 packets, but im curious...would just rehydrating and pitching both packets really make a big difference/or be an over-pitch?

I dont often use dry yeast so saving 1/2 a packet is useless for me. wondering if I could just pitch both

Just pitch both, properly hydrated. Underpitching is bad, mild overpitching is not bad, extreme overpitching may be very bad if under bad temperature and oxygenation conditions. For a DIPA a mild overpitch (according to a calculator) will do no harm.

I don't do the math for these. I have a friend who is into it. We're doing a twenty gallon conical of Fosters-ish Lager. He's making a three gallon starter, in two stages, from two liquid yeast vials that are just on the edge of expiring for sale.

It's going to be a lot of yeast.

I pitched the yeast starter I last night, and now the airlock hardly floats. I know, I know, this doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I am worried nonetheless. The bucket and lid are also new, so I'm hoping that maybe there is a tiny, tiny leak somewhere...

Also, it's been sitting around 59-60 F, which is on the low end for s-05. I would be reluctant to let it warm up though.

I pitched the yeast starter I last night, and now the airlock hardly floats. I know, I know, this doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I am worried nonetheless. The bucket and lid are also new, so I'm hoping that maybe there is a tiny, tiny leak somewhere...

Also, it's been sitting around 59-60 F, which is on the low end for s-05. I would be reluctant to let it warm up though.

Any kreusen showing up yet. It's too early to worry in reality.

You can always give your lid a little puch in the center and see if it has domed a little bit; if it is starting to ferment then the lid will dome up a bit before you will see any air-lock activity.

Patience. You made a starter, which basically proofed the yeast. Was there noticeable growth with the starter? I bet it takes off for you.

You can always give your lid a little puch in the center and see if it has domed a little bit; if it is starting to ferment then the lid will dome up a bit before you will see any air-lock activity.

Just got a mental picture of a newbie beating hell out of his fermenter trying to get bubbles to come out of the airlock, like some weird yeast CPR. Made me giggle.

Just got a mental picture of a newbie beating hell out of his fermenter trying to get bubbles to come out of the airlock, like some weird yeast CPR. Made me giggle.

Heh. I did notice it bulge a little. The only other time I had something start this slow, the fermentation was actually stuck because of too high mash temps. Definitely not the case this time. I think I'm just being impatient :p

Update - it might be stuck. I went to add the dry hops today, decided to check the specific gravity too. It's at 1.040 approximately. I've never checked the gravity this soon before, so I'm not sure if it's stuck or just needs more time. I have other yeasts on hand that I could add. Also, I know this has nothing to do with the mash temp - it never went above 150 F.

Update - it might be stuck. I went to add the dry hops today, decided to check the specific gravity too. It's at 1.040 approximately. I've never checked the gravity this soon before, so I'm not sure if it's stuck or just needs more time. I have other yeasts on hand that I could add. Also, I know this has nothing to do with the mash temp - it never went above 150 F.

You are already adding dry hops? I usually wait until it hits FG. Let it go another 3-5 days and see if gravity is lower. Hopefully it is, and you can package in the next 7-10 days after taking another reading to confirm it is done. If it is stalled, you need to try warming the beer and rousing the yeast to get it chomping again.

At this point, you can safely let it naturally rise to the mid-60's without concern, it would actually probably help.

It finished! 1.011! I also tasted it, and it has a super dry finish. Is this normal for this yeast? Just curious.

Latest posts

Back