US-05, Krausen won't drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

It's my first time using US-05 yeast. I've had a blonde ale in the primary for one week, and fermentation has slowed as expected. Weird thing is, the krausen has reduced from 3 or so inches, but still lingers at an even 1/4 inch across the top. It's not infected, but I'm wondering if its normal for the foam to stay indefinately with US-05.

I want to rack to secondary this weekend so I can start a new batch, but not sure if I need to wait for the krausen to completely disappear. Should I leave it, or can i rack through the foam? Appreciate your advice on this.

I've even had that happen ocassionaly with Cooper's yeast as well. It's normal & can happen. but never rack the beer anywhere before FG is reached.
Patience is the key here,don't push it to make it keep to your schedule,or you can wind up the looser.

I would get another fermenter rather than racking your beer in a week. It is also likely you could rack it and it will still be beer and be fine???

Just not good practice to rack so soon....RDWHWB.

To answer the question, yes, I've had that happen with US-05. Yeast are curious little creatures, they have their own personalities sometimes.

That said, I agree with the others. You should just buy another fermenter. Racking to secondary exposes your beer to the unnecessary risks of infection and oxidation.

Agree with everything said here. The extra time is not only most likely needed but why rush a batch and get something subpar when your patience will be rewarded?
That is a little odd, I use US05 for 90% of my brews, but it also sounds like its just not finished. Give it time and it should completely settle.

thanks for the quick responses everyone. I would like to leave it in the primary for the entire fermentation process... trouble is, my setup is best for 2stage fermentation. the primary lid isn't airtight, designed to be loose-fitted without an airlock. After primary slows, i've been told there's increased risk of infection and i should switch to a carboy with airlock. All the LHBS in town carry the same setup...

thanks for the quick responses everyone. I would like to leave it in the primary for the entire fermentation process... trouble is, my setup is best for 2stage fermentation. the primary lid isn't airtight, designed to be loose-fitted without an airlock. After primary slows, i've been told there's increased risk of infection and i should switch to a carboy with airlock. All the LHBS in town carry the same setup...

This is not really the case. Post-fermentation, your beer has alcohol, which helps prevent infection, and the pH is also lower, which again protects against infection.

Further, any bacteria or wild yeast that could cause infection don't have legs. They can't climb into your fermenter.

The reasons to use a secondary are few. This is not one of those cases.

Yep, fermentation is not done. Buy a new carboy to ferment in.

Also, if you gently slosh your fermenter around, some yeast will drop out. You don't want to do this much as time is the best friend you have!

For what its worth..... For the beers you don't really need to secondary I'd just use the carboy. If your dry hopping, wood aging, whatever... then I'd probably use the carboy as a secondary. I know this doesn't help your current situation but just a thought for the future.

It's done that to me too, I've pretty much switched to other yeast strains for most things I do. Swirl it around just a little and it will help some to fall and cold crash

I was at final gravity for ~2 days at 35 degrees and my "krausen" (one giant yeast raft with a bit of foam residue on top) remained.

I racked underneath it and got very clear beer. Hit it with gelatin. surprised to find 48 hours later after carbonation in my keg, the first draft was a yeasty dirty mess, the following draft was seriously clear and it only improves as time passes :

563050_10152118833464360_1481556129_n.jpg

Thanks everyone. I'll leave this a few more days and then check for FG. I think I need to consider single stage fermenting in the future. I have some questions, but I'll start a separate thread on that topic rather than veer too far off topic on this one

Funny I am having the same with sa05 on my last batch. Never had that happen on my previous dozen brews using that yeast. I actually started a similar thread.

Its happening to me right now with the same yeast.

2row/munich20/crystal60/wheat malt/carafoam AG @ 1.056 and after 10days in and it looks like picture perfect krausen but none of the bubbles are popping.

I'm taking the 1st gravity reading tonight but I don't think its done yet. My airlock is still pushing the trap to the top after an hour or so.

I use wyeast 1469 regularly now and krausen can stick around for 10 days or longer... More perma-krausen than us05. I just let it ride 2 weeks, 3 if necessary. Some recommend racking under the krausen but i think its best to let finish in its own time

You are correct about switching to a carboy if you envision a long secondary. If it is just for a few more days you don't have to. That does not mean you can't, as long as you use good sanitary practices and don't splash the beer too much.

You are correct about switching to a carboy if you envision a long secondary. If it is just for a few more days you don't have to. That does not mean you can't, as long as you use good sanitary practices and don't splash the beer too much.

I'm totally on board now with the primary only for most beers, and secondary only for long-term aging. I have a couple fermentors available now (close to a year since I made that post), so I no longer have to wait for one to finish before starting the next. :mug:

Glad I found this thread. I am doing a batch with S-05 and there is still a good krausen layer after 7 days. I wasn't planning on doing anything but waiting, but it is interesting that others are experiencing the same thing. I also noticed that this yeast was slow to take off despite rehydration. I am used to S-04 which basically kicks the door down immediately and then drops right off after a few days. I typically ferment at 18 Deg C.
In all honesty this isn't much more than a curiosity though. The hydrometer will tell what's what.

I've brewed with S-05 alot, and have noticed this on my last 2 batches. The first one, I had racked while fermentation was still active, but this last one is a week out and still "high krausen"! Weird.

It's been a while since I used this strain, using top-croppers lately that have the same sort of perma-krausen characteristics. I wonder if it'd be worth harvesting US-05 yeast by skimming off the top? It might work really well.

I have had US05 krausen that suck around for over 2 weeks. It eventually dropped out.

Latest posts

Back