Urgent- can I top off with tap water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonarek

Reaction score
My boil was miscalculated and I have 3.8 gal instead of 4.5, should I leave it alone or can I too off with tap water directly?

The water is really good here but it definitely has chlorine in it. My OG is a tiny bit high but is close. Just pitched yeast and sealed the bucket.

Thanks!

What was your projected OG and your actual OG? You could fill it up with water, if you were so inclined. Did you use your "chlorinated" tap water untreated in the boil? Im gonna say that if it were m, I would just leave it, but I dont really know how close your OG was.

A slightly longer answer is that boiling and cooling your top off water is slightly safer. If it is chlorine, boiling will remove or reduce the chemical while sanitizing the water. If it is chloramine, them campden tablets will be necessary to remove the chemical.

However, if your water tastes good, then TasunkaWitko's answer is both correct and sufficient.

Good Luck,
Cody

Estimated OG was 1.049 for 4.5 gal. (Recipe)

Est. OG for 3.8 gal is 1.057 (per beer smith)

Measured OG was 1.058 (at 3.8 gal)

I wouldn't without at least a bit of campden in there to get rid of the chlorine/chloramines.

I am just going to leave it alone I think, if it is off then I will just have to drink them faster and brew something else soon!

Latest posts

Back