UPS shakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else get antsy when they are waiting on an impending package delivery. My six pounds of hops from hops direct are "Out for Delivery" and every time I hear anything that even resembles a UPS truck engine I look out my front window. The suspense is killing me!

Yup I get them. I even chased down one truck cuz I thought he'd already been to my house and didn't leave my package. Turned out there are more than 1 truck in my area:)

This makes me happy to be at work when the UPS man comes, Wife is home and brings the package in (if she can lift it) and it's waiting for me on the table:)

My shakes come while driving home from work, knowing it's there:) Like tomorrow when my Refractometer will be waiting for me :D

I work in shipping, so if you're "waiting" for the package to come, this is how I feel about it:

:D

Online tracking was the worse invention ever, for me. When I have something being shipped to me, I check it hundreds of times. When it hasn't moved from a location for a few hours I start to get really annoyed. Makes me want to call... "Hello... is this the UPS warehouse in Topeka Kansas? Yeah. Would you mind sticking my box on a truck, for me? It hasn't moved in almost 3 hours. What's wrong?!? Come'on!"

I had bad case of the shakes this whole week! lucky for me they got cured by my package arriving today, enabling me to start All Grain. . .:ban:

Online tracking was the worse invention ever, for me. When I have something being shipped to me, I check it hundreds of times. When it hasn't moved from a location for a few hours I start to get really annoyed. Makes me want to call... "Hello... is this the UPS warehouse in Topeka Kansas? Yeah. Would you mind sticking my box on a truck, for me? It hasn't moved in almost 3 hours. What's wrong?!? Come'on!"

Man what you said is dead on for me too. I must check that UPS site like 5 or 6 times a day when I have a package coming. Recently, I started using google maps to figure out many miles away the package was. When my hops got to Hodgkins, IL, they only had a day before scheduled delivery and I was thinking that there was no way I get them on time. AND THEN, they stopped in New Stanton, PA! I was like WTF...

wtf.jpg

Edit: They Came!!! I dont know why I get so worked up. I have to go out of town in a few hours so I cant brew today, and I dont even have time to repack them. Oh well, they are here and I am sure my wife will have a cow when she gets home and sees the 5 pounds of leaf hops and 1 pound of pellets in the freezer.

hops.jpg

About half the freezer is hops. That big thing on the right is the top of our wedding cake. Only a few more weeks and that fricking thing can GO!

It's called a weekend ;) That's the problem with ground shipments...they're not guaranteed (or, rather, express shipments are MORE CLOSELIER to guaranteed.) They can take as long as they'd like.

Man what you said is dead on for me too. I must check that UPS site like 5 or 6 times a day when I have a package coming. Recently, I started using google maps to figure out many miles away the package was. When my hops got to Hodgkins, IL, they only had a day before scheduled delivery and I was thinking that there was no way I get them on time. AND THEN, they stopped in New Stanton, PA! I was like WTF...

View attachment 13376

UPS still uses trains. Its about all the packages, not just yours. :D

I'd pay a few extra bucks if they could put a GPS tracker in the box. Then I could bring up a map and actually watch my package moving along the highway. :D

I was actually thinking about the GPS thing yesterday. There must be some reason that they cannot show you EXACTLY where it is. I am sure UPS knows exactly where all of their trains, planes and automobiles are at any given time.

I was actually thinking about the GPS thing yesterday. There must be some reason that they cannot show you EXACTLY where it is. I am sure UPS knows exactly where all of their trains, planes and automobiles are at any given time.

Actually, according to them, they don't know where the trucks are. I needed to find one once and they told me I was SOL.

Nope, I live so far back from the road I don't move until both dog-alarms go off. Although they don't always react.

There are systems that allow for continuous updating of truck location. The problem is they are expensive, so UPS doesn't use them. If you see a semi-tractor with a stubby white can on the top, that's the one I helped develop, Omnitrac.

I know a good reason not to. Say I know a jewelry store that ships via UPS. I place an order from them with a fake name and address, knowing that they're going to be sending out a bunch of other orders at the same time. Then I have a GPS tracker showing where the truck carrying it all will be. It'd make them too easy to rob.

Thats kind of what I thought too. But I mean, if you highjacked a UPS semi chances are there is going to be something valuable in there anyway.

David, thats cool info. You learn something everyday!

IF the trailer gets scanned as it gets on the train, then its on the train. The Rigs get scanned as the leave/depart, and rigs only travel short distances that can be achieved in one shift (round trip). With that said I guess they figure there's no real need.

I worked there in the load for 7 years. Not much has changed. If you dont see daily status change, then its on a train.

Cant throw it out, but both of us want it gone equally. There is hardly any room in the freezer to store anything. As soon as November 22 hits we are going to eat a small piece and then chuck it. Why the hell do you need to save the ENTIRE top layer anyway? We should have just saved one piece.

Reading this thread just made me anxious. So I went a lookin'.

Location Date Local Time DescriptionWhat's This?
HORSHAM, PA, US 10/29/2009 11:44 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
MESQUITE, TX, US 10/28/2009 7:06 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
10/28/2009 12:55 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
AUSTIN, TX, US 10/27/2009 9:16 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
10/27/2009 7:33 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 10/27/2009 6:30 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Tracking results provided by UPS: 10/29/2009 3:47 P.M. ET

1 day, 4.5 hours from Texas to PA...I say not bad!!!

I've got one out for delivery. Can't wait to get home!

COMMERCE CITY, CO, US 10/29/2009 12:42 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY

Only a few more weeks and that fricking thing can GO!

just toss that cake out...:p

We tasted ours on the Anniversary and spit it out and chucked it. It was gross.

I had a package on my porch this morning that I'd somehow missed last night. 3rd package for the GWR swap. Today is package awesomeness.

Beer received this morning, Beer shipping this afternoon, Refractometer coming this evening :)

Back