Upgrading to a 5 gallon carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcsmithnyc

Reaction score
So I received a 1 gallon beer making kit for a birthday gift (the recipe was an all-grain version but I think I'm going to try malt extract next since it's easier). I kind of think 1 gallon is too much effort for too little reward so I'd like to upgrade to a 5 gallon carboy.

My question is about the brew kettle - I currently have a pot that can hold 3 gallons of water, but not 5. Is it possible to mix the malt extract with only 3 gallons of water when boiling the wort etc. and then when it gets added to the carboy simply top up the additional 2 gallons? Or do I need to buy another large pan that I don't have room for ;)

Thanks!

Just a tip. It's really in your best interest to go for a 6+ gallon carboy or bucket for your primary fermentation vessel. 5 gallons should really only be used for clearing or dry hopping, among other tricks.

You need the extra space to do your primary fermentation.

To answer you other question, you can absolutely do your boil with less than 5 gallons and just add water to the fermenter. Currently, I don't have a kettle that can support a full boil.

If doing extract you should be fine you can do a boil with 2 - 2 1/2 gallons and top off with water. You don't want to use a 5 gal carboy, get a 6 1/2 gallon carboy

I second the 6.5 gal. carboy or a 6.5 gal. brewing bucket or my favorite right now, the 6 gallon better bottle. Most extract partial boils will call for 2.5-3 gallons...just remember, you are boiling this stuff and it is prone to boiling over. A 3 gallon pot doesn't leave you much room, I started with a 5 gal. pot doing 3 gallon boils and would still come close to the top.

+1 on the 6 gallon better bottle. A full wort boil will improve your brewing, so when you decide to invest money on a kettle, go big and buy a good sized kettle. I currently have a 15 gal kettle that I bought at a restaurant supply store and now do 10 gal batches. I figured why make 5 gals when I could make 10 in about the same time.

Thanks everyone - from the answers it seems to be clear that it doesn't matter if the original boil is 1 gallon or 3 - it will result in the same outcome (obviously different from doing a full boil)?

Will deft. get a 6.5 gallon carboy - one question - I'm going to stay away from plastic buckets since I've heard they can scratch and hide bacteria...do better bottles have this problem?...if so I'd rather just go with glass...but if not, the better bottle is much lighter and would be preferable.

Thanks!

I like better bottles since they won't sever an artery if you drop one, plus they're a lot lighter when full. To clean just soak with PBW or oxyclean, and rinse well. Never use a brush (you won't need one). No worries about scratches as with buckets.

Buckets are only about $15 with the drilled lid and grommet. I've done 10 batches in mine without scratching it. It stacks well inside my bottling bucket too. Try that with your carboy. :^)

Buckets are only about $15 with the drilled lid and grommet. I've done 10 batches in mine without scratching it. It stacks well inside my bottling bucket too. Try that with your carboy. :^)

+1 my carboy collects dust most of the time.

Latest posts

Back