Upgrade Wort Cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I've been using an immersion chiller now for years and it takes about 30 minutes to cool 5 gallons. I've just purchased a CFC, but am now worried about DMS while the hot wort sits before it goes through the chiller. Now I'm thinking about getting a pump and a whirlpool arm so for the first few minutes of cooling I whirlpool with the pump and am immersion chiller until I hit 140° and then pump it through the CFC to pitching temp to the fermenter. Thoughts on this? I figure a pump would be a nice to have as well because I'm tired of lifting heavy pots.

You can cool a couple of ways...
Transfer directly to the FV. I'm able to transfer from boiling to pitch temp in about 15 or 20 minutes.
Whirlpool to a specific temp, turn of the cold water supply and continue whirlpool as long as you like before chilling during transfer to FV.
Whirlpool while chilling continuously until pitch temp, then transfer.
I wouldn't worry about DMS. That's boiled off early and doesn't just appear.

I am having good results chilling via pump>CFC>whirlpool. Can drop 10 gallons in 30 mins almost hands free. I chill with ground temp water through a 50' pre chiller in an empty 5 gal bucket. As I hit 100F I drop 20 lbs of ice and some cold water/Epsom salt in bucket to supercharge the pre chiller. I can get it down into the 60s. This is with Florida tap water temps. Before this I would stall at 95F.

Back