"Unwashed" yeast collection question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CajunChuck

Reaction score
I see lots of people posting pictures of "washed" yeast and collected trub mixture. This is from the bottom of my oatmeal stout. I have a few other jars from an American Brown Ale and it looks identical.

All the other pictures I've seen have a considerable amount of beer on top and just a bit of slop/yeast on bottom that is clearly brighter and whiter. Is this normal. I hate to pitch this yeast mixture and use it in a new batch a beer if it looks off. I am new to harvesting/reusing/starting previous yeast.
0w9ExjU.jpg

So do I make a starter with wort from DME and add this to it or do I dump it straight into the 5 gallon batch? I'm reading both...

All the other pictures I've seen have a considerable amount of beer on top and just a bit of slop/yeast on bottom that is clearly brighter and whiter. Is this normal. I hate to pitch this yeast mixture and use it in a new batch a beer if it looks off. I am new to harvesting/reusing/starting previous yeast.

If you limit the amount of kettle trub that makes it to the fermentor the resulting collected yeast will be cleaner looking.

Personally I pitch a healthy amount of slurry and forgo the starters... I hate starters. If it's half a year old or something I'd step it up I guess.

So do I make a starter with wort from DME and add this to it or do I dump it straight into the 5 gallon batch? I'm reading both...

It depends on your viability and how much slurry you have.

Basically, if you make a starter that is less than 10x the volume of your slurry, the yeast will multiply until maximum cell density is reached.

So if you pitch 200mL of slurry into a 1.5 L starter, you're going to get about the same final number of cells whether you had pitched 300 mL or 150mL

So if you have a small amount of slurry, its best to step it up to the proper inoculation rate of your beer by pitching it into a starter.

If you have big jars like that, and your viability is high, I'd just pitch it directly.

If its old and you're unsure about viability, just make a starter for peace of mind.

Back