Unusual amount of foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OaklandHills

Reaction score
I am sampling an IPA I've made several times before. It was in the fermentor for 3 weeks plus. Final gravity was 1.015; I measured gravity several times before bottling (cuz I like the taste of flat beer) so I'm pretty confident it was done fermenting. I batch primed with 0.6 oz of cane sugar per gal and bottled it. I carbonated at ~68 degrees for 2 weeks and moved it to the fridge. Its been in the fridge for a week now. A sample pour will have 2 inches or more of persistent foam. I don't mind that but it seems like alot of foam. I have bottled 6 or more batches of beer with the same amount of priming sugar with nothing like this amount of foam. The one thing different in the brewing process was I dry hopped the IPA by dropping pellet hops into the bucket. Normally I use a sanitized hop sack. And I'm sampling the beer from the bottom of the bucket so there are bits of hops (or something) in the bottle.

Does the presence of hop bits increase the foam? Am I using a little too much priming sugar?

The bits could be providing a nucleation point that is causing more foam than if they weren't there. I use beersmith's priming sugar calculator. I however prefer my beers more carbonated than they'd typically be done.

Back