Untraditional Kolsch w/ Azacca, Citra and Mosaic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I have a lot of hops in the freezer that I need to use up and also want to brew up a kolsch. Figured I could take an untraditional approach to a kolsch with only late boil and dry hop additions.

Here's what I have so far:
  • Est OG: 1.047
  • Est IBU: 28 (22 estimate due to brewing at 7k feet)
  • Est ABV: 4.8%

Ingredients:
  • 9.25 lb Pilsner
  • 8 oz Vienna
  • 8 oz wheat malt
  • WLP029 German Ale / Kolsch yeast
  • 1oz Citra (12%AA) @ 5 min
  • 1oz Azacca (15%AA) @ 5 min
  • 1oz Mosaic (12.25%AA) @ 5 min
  • 1oz Citra dry hop for 5 days
  • 1oz Azacca dry hop for 5 days
  • 1oz Mosaic dry hop for 5 days
I plan to do a 60 minute mash at 151'F and a 60 minute boil. Ferment at 60'F for 2 weeks, dry hopping at day 9. Cold crash and transfer to keg for extended 'lagering'

Any thoughts on this or changes I might want to make?

Looks like a hoppy Kolsch!

How fast do you chill down to 150F?
If it's very fast, maybe leave it at 150F for a 20' hop stand/whirlpool to eek out a bit more flavor from those 5 minute hops. At 150F isomerization (bittering) has about halted.

I would probably just call it a hoppy blonde, but the recipe looks great!

Looks like a hoppy Kolsch!

How fast do you chill down to 150F?
If it's very fast, maybe leave it at 150F for a 20' hop stand/whirlpool to eek out a bit more flavor from those 5 minute hops. At 150F isomerization (bittering) has about halted.
Great idea. I could get it down to 150 in a few minutes.

I have recently brewed a Kolsch hybrid, using all Vienna malt ( 4L from Weyermann ), with K-97 as the yeast and a mix of Mandarina Bavaria with Hallertau Mittelfruh. 4 oz each, NO dry hopping, but I have employed a 20 minutes whirlpool at 158F and the aroma and flavour are very good.

11 days in the bottle and it's really great. Actually, it might one I will brew again using the exact hops or going for something even fruitier. The aroma and flavour are citrus forward, hint hints of spiciness. Very refreshing. I also have used K-97 for an IPA with Amarillo, Simcoe, Chinook and Mosaic and it was a grapefruit juice+grapefruit rind bomb and some resiny notes. Very good. This was dry hopped and it seems the yeast works well with hops.

So I think you'll be very happy with the results. I would however mash lower. From experience, I like Kolsch yeast with a dry, crisp finish. Don't go too heavy on the bitterness and sulfate additions, but enough to remind you of an IPA. Maybe aim for a 5%-5.5% + ABV and maybe 30-35 IBUs. But that's a personal preference.

Anyway, it will be very good. Cheers.

Back