Unstrained tea leaves while fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scobysurfer

Reaction score
I noticed with my previous batch, even at a lower overall temp and using the same combination (50/50 green and black) that the fizz was stronger right from the open glass.

I attribute this to the fact that one of the tea bags that I had thrown in had opened up and all the tea was left to float while it fermented. I think its standard practice to strain, does anybody leave the tea leaves in on ferment? Is there a drawback to doing this?

I noticed with my previous batch, even at a lower overall temp and using the same combination (50/50 green and black) that the fizz was stronger right from the open glass.

I attribute this to the fact that one of the tea bags that I had thrown in had opened up and all the tea was left to float while it fermented. I think its standard practice to strain, does anybody leave the tea leaves in on ferment? Is there a drawback to doing this?

The fizz (carbon dioxide) is created by the yeast when it breaks down the sucrose. I believe it's a by-product of the respiration process, instead of alcohol.
The tea debris wouldn't have any affect on CO2 production. However, it could cause your batch to be more astringent. Depending on how much debris there is.
As long as it sinks to the bottom, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I've got (2) 1-gallon jars that have "double green" (green tea + matcha) tea brewing right now. So there'll be some matcha meandering about in them.

Post back when it's ready, I'd like to know how it turns out.

Back