Unscrewing the barb on a Taprite secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm switching out all of my gas lines to barrier tubing, since I have a ton of the stuff so I might as well use it to keep oxygen out of the gas lines as well. To make this easier, I'm switching my connectors to John Guest connectors.

However, I'm struggling to unscrew the gas in barb on my Taprite secondary. The gas out barbs and gauges came off fairly easily, but the gas in barb seems to be glued in

Any suggestions how to get it loose? Heat it a bit to melt whatever is keeping it in? Or just try to exert more force?

IMG_6454.jpg

Hmmm... more force just seems to be stripping the brass bolt. Whatever is holding it in is stronger than the brass. I might just leave this connection as vinyl tube.

Pretty sure ALL of the ports on a Taprite secondary regulator are RH threaded.
The LH threads distinguish the input and bypass ports on a Taprite primary regulator from the low pressure output port which is RH threaded.
And the mangled barb in that pic sure looks like RH threads to me.

At this point I'd remove all of the bits (knob, bonnet, diaphragm, internal valve, etc) and heat that fitting up with a small gas torch until the cement holding it in place softens, then channel-lock or vice-grip that beyotch out :)

Cheers!

Couldn't get mine off either and resorted to the jury rigged solution below to attach Duotight and EVA tubing. 3/8" barb with 1/4" flare swivel nut, to 1/4" flare to 1/4" flare union, which is available at home depot for a couple bucks. You may be able to find a 3/8" barb with 1/4" flare all in one which avoids one connection.

1599865284874.png
1599865485347.png

Thanks for all the feedback. I should have asked here before (literally) causing myself pain.

Despite @day_trippr giving me a good excuse to buy a blow torch, I went with something similar to @Holden Caulfield's suggestion.

I had some John Guest 3/8" stem to 5/16" barb connectors in my box of stuff and so I used those to connect from the short length of braided vinyl to the push connector. Images attached incase this solution is useful to anyone else.

IMG_6456.jpg
IMG_6457.jpeg

Last edited:
Back