Unscented Detergent - is there such thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsengineer

Reaction score
I have read about them, but cannot find any. What do you use? I would like to use the detergent to do small scrub cleanings on funnels, spoons, pots, etc....

7th generation has a perfume free unscented usually even sold in target. Health food stores sell them also. I often just use baking soda/hot water then a quick sanitize or spray rinse from my previous used batch of sanitizer on hand.

Oxyclean Free. I use for everything, from cleaning on brew day to the prewash on my dishwasher. I always have a tub of the stuff around the house. Make sure you get the 'free' version. That's the one with no perfume.

I had this same problem. Everything was mountain fresh or petal rose. I finally found a basic general purpose oxy cleaner at the dollar general store. Yep it actually only cost a dollar too.

Or, make your own, like we do. It's just a mix of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda, 20 Mule Team Borax, and a bar of Fels Naptha soap. Google "homemade laundry detergent"

It comes out scent free and works great. Save's money.

I'm part of the Oxyclean free bandwagon. Its great. Soak you labeled bottles in oxyclean and the labels fall right off!

Oxyclean Free. I use for everything, from cleaning on brew day to the prewash on my dishwasher. I always have a tub of the stuff around the house. Make sure you get the 'free' version. That's the one with no perfume.

Hows it work as a prewash? Im thinking this might be my cure to those little flecks I've been getting in some of my glassware. Right now I use extra detergent (cheap Sams Club brand) as prewash and a finish tab as regular wash.

Sorry to get OT, if you want to PM thats cool.

smyrnaquince said:
How strong do you make the solution when soaking labels off?

Thanks for the suggestion. I picked up some Oxy Clean free this afternoon and it works great. I filled the sink about half way, added a half scoop of Oxy, and let 9 bottles soak for 15 minutes. Labels fell right off...any goo residue came right off too.

Thanks for the suggestion. I picked up some Oxy Clean free this afternoon and it works great. I filled the sink about half way, added a half scoop of Oxy, and let 9 bottles soak for 15 minutes. Labels fell right off...any goo residue came right off too.
What he said.

I will use a bottling bucket or car washing bucket, fill it up with water add a 1/2 scoop or slightly more and that seems like more than enough. Soaking for a few hours usually does the trick, I think it even gets the printed on stuff off (like Stone's bottles). It works similar to magic but with less side effects (bottles turning into newts, neighbors dogs meowing like cats ect...)

My wife and I have always used five star's PBW with great results. We buy a 4lbs tub from more beer every couple months. It's best when dissolved in warm water. We rinse with five star's star-San after the crusties are off

OK. I've always been a doubter, but this weekend I picked up the Clorox brand equivalent to OxyClean (because it was cheaper). Mixed a scoop of it with about 2.5 gallons of hot water and soaked the beer bottles. You guys were right! The labels came off easily and a few fell off on their own.

I got the bottles from neighbors and some of the bottles were not well-rinsed. The gunk came right out, as well.

I am now a believer.

I'm still confused as to why brewers use cleaners and sanitizers that were never meant for any step in the brewing process when we have such great products that were developed for this very purpose. My wife just ordered an 8 pound tub of PBW for 40.00, and that will probably last us two months. I might be crazy, but I would rather spend a little extra cash on a product that is designed for the task I am using it for rather than run the risk by saving a little money.

[email protected]. on tap: easy virtue blonde, fruity monk belgian wit. primary: American pale ale, American stout, blow your top steam, and heffewitzen

PBW apparently...
Although if Oxy-whatever works in 1/4 the time and leaves no residue and is safe then PBW can take a hike. Just because its the way it used to be done doesn't mean its still the best way.

IIRC PBW = powdered brewery wash and was created by/for Coors for cleaning their brewery equipment. It is a cleaning formula, so is Oxyclean. 8lbs for $40 dollars and 2 months?? Or about $15 for 8.5 lbs of oxyclean that will last me for 4-6 months???

Also what risk??

Back