Unpasteurized Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
I want to make an Unpasteurized Vanilla Porter. I brew AG. Has anybody ever done this that could guide me in the right direction for a successful outcome?

Thanks in advance

Do you normally pasteurize your beers?

Are you just looking for a vanilla porter recipe? If so, there are some good porter recipes in the database (I like Atonement Porter by Airbornguy). You can add a vanilla bean or two to secondary for a couple of weeks.

JLem said:
Do you normally pasteurize your beers? Are you just looking for a vanilla porter recipe? If so, there are some good porter recipes in the database (I like Atonement Porter by Airbornguy). You can add a vanilla bean or two to secondary for a couple of weeks.

Well I boil my wort for 60 minutes. Isn't that considered pasteurizing the beer?

I think my definition of unpasteurized beer is way off. I thought unpasteurized beer is not boiled. You just pull your wort from steep grains and pitch your yeast without the boil... Am I wrong?

I'm assuming you're aware you'll more than likely end up with something sour or funky, and potentially undrinkable depending on what wild yeast or or bugs make it in there, but I say give it a shot. For a porter, getting the right bitterness might be a challenge. You could go the hop tea route (boil the hops separately to isomerize the alpha acids and add back). Never tried it, but I've heard mixed results doing it that way. You could also do it Berliner Weisse style, and boil some hops in some small decoctions and add them back in. Although you may just be best off using a hop extract. Depending on what you're looking for, the hops could either help hold back souring bacteria (although probably wouldn't completely stop), or you may want to wait until it's good and sour to hop it.

My 2c.

I think my definition of unpasteurized beer is way off. I thought unpasteurized beer is not boiled. You just pull your wort from steep grains and pitch your yeast without the boil... Am I wrong?

if you do not boil the wort, you will have a sour beer from all the bacteria and wild yeast that exist on the malted barley. Boiling the wort sterilizes it, killing off these normally unwanted organisms. Since you then add yeast, the beer is not pasteurized. Pasteurized beer would be when you kill off the yeast once fermentation is complete so that the end product does not contain any microorganisms.

The only beer style I know of that may not include boiling the wort is Berliner Weiss, a sour German wheat beer

Also...with no boiling, when/how will you add the hops?

if you do not boil the wort, you will have a sour beer from all the bacteria and wild yeast that exist on the malted barley. Boiling the wort sterilizes it, killing off these normally unwanted organisms. Since you then add yeast, the beer is not pasteurized. Pasteurized beer would be when you kill off the yeast once fermentation is complete so that the end product does not contain any microorganisms.

The only beer style I know of that may not include boiling the wort is Berliner Weiss, a sour German wheat beer

Also...with no boiling, when/how will you add the hops?

Nitpicking, but boiling doesn't sterilize unless done under a higher temp (under pressure). It does pasteurize the wort though. Although like you said, once you've pitched yeast the beer is no longer pasteurized.

Qhrumphf said:
Nitpicking, but boiling doesn't sterilize unless done under a higher temp (under pressure). It does pasteurize the wort though. Although like you said, once you've pitched yeast the beer is no longer pasteurized.

I bet the acidity of the wort makes a regular boil sufficient to sterilize it...not that it matters :)

MindenMan said:
I am guessing "no boil" means the extract syrup is already hopped?

But the OP mentioned doing all-grain and just running the wort from the mash tun to the fermenter.

Back