unorthodox sparge technique: critique welcom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigfootCounty

Reaction score
whatup my fellow barley mongers long time lurker first time poster

So I am a long time brewer but fairly new to all grain.

last week while brewing I used a technique on the fly that really seemed to boost my efficiency and I wanted register and see what some of the awesome guys here at HBT thought about it.

I usually batch sparge so I split my initial sparge water in half like I normally do and collected my first runnings.

I added my first volume of sparge water, vorlaufed, and collected my second runnings. normally I would do this one more time and have my total pre-boil volume.

Instead I poured half of my remaining sparge water, made sure it was running clear and stuck a stainless steel colander (that fits perfectly in the top of my mash tun)
and did a sort of fly sparge by slowly adding the last quarter of
sparge water at the same rate I was draining off.

I was able to achieve a about 80% mash efficiency and that is really good for me

the porter is still in primary so I guess I will have to wait and see what it's like in the end

just wondering what you guys thought about that or if anyone here had ever tried anything similar

or if there were any negatives anyone could see with this technique

No real negatives, other than the extra time it takes to incorporate the pseudo-fly sparge.

FYI, just with normal batch sparging, I can get 80% easy....maybe you want to look at a better crush for your grains as an easier way to boost efficiency?

Back