Unmalted, unhulled wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h-bar

Reaction score
I just received a few pounds of freshly picked wheat from a friend, and I want to try malting it. Unfortunately, it's all still intact on the stalk and hasn't been hulled. I've been rubbing the kernels in my hands to hull them, but it's very tedious and slow-going. Any idea on how to speed up the process?

Apparently, the word for the process is winnowing. For anyone interested, here is a good way to do it:
Put wheat tops in a pillow case, and beat with a shoe until kernels are loosened from the stalk and hulls.
Pour the kernels and hulls into a bucket.
With a sideways airstream from a fan, pour from one bucket into another. The fan will cause the hulls to blow away from the kernels. Repeat this a few times until you have mostly kernels.

I'll be making a small batch of wheat beer with what I collected today. Assuming malting goes well, I'll do the same with the remaining raw wheat.

This is the process I'll be using for malting: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/easy-wheat-malting-picture-guide-322877/

Back