Unmalted grains - Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thievaryx

Reaction score
I know its not optimum, but I want to play around and see what I can get. Specifically my question is will these two mashes covert to sugars?

1)
5 gallon batch size
10lbs Raw Barley (unmalted)
2 tablespoons amalyse enzyme

12.5 quart mash @ 150F for 75mins

If conversion works, then my OG is expected to be 1.039 @ 70% efficiency.I would then proceed to a full boil that would kill off the enzymes.

2)
5 gallon batch size
10lbs Flaked Wheat
2 tablespoons amalyse enzyme

12.5 quart mash @ 150F for 75mins

If conversion works, then my OG is expected to be 1.050 @ 70% efficiency. I would then proceed to a full boil that would kill off the enzymes.

So, should I give this a shot or will I end up with a gunky protein?

I'm no expert, but if the grains aren't malted, I don't think you are going to get any starch conversion.

I'm assuming this is Alpha Amylase?

I know Alpha works on long chain starches, but (I think - needs corroboration) will continue to break them down into short chain starches until you get to maltose and maltriose (among others), wheras the Beta works to break just maltose off of larger starches.

Seeing that mashing using malted grains makes use of both enzymes, and denaturing the Beta amylase is key to getting a less-ferment-able wort you might not get a very ferment-able wort from using just the Alpha.

It's possible that a longer-than-conventional mash would improve the ferment-ability of this experiment.

Give it a smaller-scale test and tell us your findings.

Yes, the idea is to use alpha amylase.

I can see where you are going with the mash times.

What I'm thinking about now is to create three different batches, try to mash them with everything held constant except the times and see how it affects my OG.

Looking at 60, 100 and 140 minute mashes with 1g batches.

Any other tips/suggestions?

I'm no expert, but if the grains aren't malted, I don't think you are going to get any starch conversion.

Thats the idea behind adding in the alpha amalyse. Basically its an enzyme that is present in malted grains that will get to work during the mash to convert starches.

Sparging on either of these is going to be hell. Use pounds of rice hulls & it may still be rough.

Also, most of the flavor of beer comes from those slightly toasted malt hulls (even for pilsener malt). These mashes won't have any of that, so they may be rather flavorless.

I think you'll need to do a step mash (particularly for beta glucanase (95-113F) and protealytic (113-131F) enzymes) to get much out of this. I'd def go with a smaller batch in case it doesn't work out well.

I think you'll need to do a step mash (particularly for beta glucanase (95-113F) and protealytic (113-131F) enzymes) to get much out of this. I'd def go with a smaller batch in case it doesn't work out well.

Maybe a cereal mash? I've not personally done one of these, but I guess after all the stewing of the grains to gelatanize them, add the amylase enzyme to the mash for conversion.

http://www.ingermann.com/cerealmash.html

Thanks for the feedback guys.

storunner13; you just opened Pandora's Box with that link... thanks!

A quick update: I put in an order for some amylase, place I ordered from was out of stock so its gonna be a week to 1.5 weeks before I receive this.

Latest posts

Back