Universal poppets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarpat

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the universal poppets? I need to get new ones for my cornys. It looks like the universal ones have replaceable o-rings which would be great since I would only have to replace the o- rings in the future. I have corneilous and firestone brands. Thanks Pat

I bought some corny kegs off of a guy not terribly far from me for stupid cheap. They all needed complete rebuilds though. I went with universal poppets from chicompany.net and have no complaints. I haven't had to replace the o rings on the poppets yet, but I buy all my o rings from mc master carr.

I've seen Universal poppets on some homebrew suppliers sites and Amazon etc. for a buck a piece or so.

Mind, on some kegs the pyramidal spring can be a bit too long to depress properly when you put a QD on the post. In that case, just snip a turn, or a bit more, off the (wide) bottom end until it works.

I have replacement poppets on all my rebuilt kegs and they work great. Spring force is great, much higher than original and replaceable orings. Does anyone have the oring size and material type from mcmaster to order a batch of raplacememt orings?

Only 1 out of my 12 kegs had a misaligned poppet head (factory machining issue) that sometimes would not pop straight off when taking off the quick disconnect. Annoying when it leaks but with a quick flick of my finger it seals. I temporarily bent the sping to preload straight but I should simply replace it to not have to worry about it.

Back