Unique combination recipe help desired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpartschjr

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a beer to represent red white and blue...

Was thinking a red ale with a whit or wheat yeast and blueberry flavoring... Doesnt sound amazing but i think done properly these flavors can compliment.

Any thoughts or advice moving into this?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You could maybe take a blueberry witbeer recipe and add some debittered black malt or dehusked carafa III until you get it to a red hue. Those malts should get you color without a lot if flavor added

Nice!!! Thanks for the recommendation! Going to give it a whirl!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would note that "not a lot of flavor" does not mean "no" flavor. If you use too much (more than just a couple %), you're still going to get a roasty character. It won't be anything as pronounced as using black patent or roasted barley, but still noticeable. And even at just a couple percent, a very discerning palate may still pick it up. Now, whether that fits with what you're going for I don't know, but I think a "Blueberry Dunkelweizen" sounds interesting and kind of fits what you're going for (not sure I'm sold on the idea myself, but I'm also not wild about blueberries).

I would note that "not a lot of flavor" does not mean "no" flavor. If you use too much (more than just a couple %), you're still going to get a roasty character. It won't be anything as pronounced as using black patent or roasted barley, but still noticeable. And even at just a couple percent, a very discerning palate may still pick it up. Now, whether that fits with what you're going for I don't know, but I think a "Blueberry Dunkelweizen" sounds interesting and kind of fits what you're going for (not sure I'm sold on the idea myself, but I'm also not wild about blueberries).

For sure, I'd use as little dark malt as possible to get to a reddish hue to impart as little flavor as possible

Back