Unintentionally Restarted Fermentation....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatdoyameanman

Reaction score
My cider fermented to dryness. I racked off the lees and I added 5 campden tablets and potassium sorbate. Then I topped off with more cider to fill the air space in the carboy. Now its two days later and I think the cider I added is fermenting and the sorbate and campden isn't working.

What do I do now?

Will it still stabilize for bottling with the sorbate and campden I already added?

Was your intent to bottle dry carbonated cider? Or are you attempting to bottle sweet cider?

i have had that happen, with s04 yeast, so i cold crashed it and re-racked, another dose of k-meta, and off it went again!
unstoppable. don't know what to suggest unfortunately....

Sweet cider and yeah I'm using safale s04 as well. Very powerful. I don't know what to do now though. When ferments to dryness again.

Will the sorbate take effect then or does it need to be added again?

How much total sorbate is too much to add?

You could always let it dry out, backsweeten, bottle, wait for it to carb and then pastuerize the bottles. Or backsweeten with nonfermentables.

Latest posts

Back