Unicorn Blood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody else back sweeten this? If so what do you use and how much?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

I did not cold crash or do a secondary. I was in a rush to get it ready for christmas. I back sweetened using sucralose at bottling, about 5 tablespoons of liquid. It is a family favorite, and packs one hell of a punch. I'm sure it would pour clearer if I cold crashed and used a secondary. I also used 6 oz of corn sugar to get carbonation.

Sucralose worked well for me. Everyone who has tried the final product has told me that they liked it, and most are typically honest about what they like of mine and what they dislike.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I like to keep a bottle of simple syrup around to sweeten drinks. That way you can tailor the sweetness to the drinker.

I added 1tbsp of liquid sucralose and 1 tbsp of Apple flavoring. This is super drinkable, tastes like juice. I'll definitely be making this again

1392951907250.jpg

If i were going to do a gallon batch of this... Does anyone have any tips or anything? How much cherry to apple to use... Should i use any sugar with it???

Just started a batch of this....or something similar anyway.
I bought a gallon of apple juice and a QT of pure black cherry juice, but before I could get to it, my girlfriend had a glass of the two mixed, plus I realized my 1g vessel was jusssst to wide at the opening for my airlock, so I decided just to add the entire contents of each juice (minus maybe 4 oz of each) & 1/3 c dark brown sugar to a 5 gallon glass carboy, and 1/2 packet of S-05, and see what I get....
2/25/14 OG 1.060 ****editted to account for temp adj. to hydrometer reading @71degF

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If i were going to do a gallon batch of this... Does anyone have any tips or anything? How much cherry to apple to use... Should i use any sugar with it???
The original recipe uses 1 quart of black cherry juice to 7 quarts of apple juice. To put it another way, you would want 1/8th or more of the volume in black cherry juice.

As for adding sugar, it depends on what you want to make. The original recipe did not add any sugar. Given typical juice sugar levels, that means it should have an OG of about 1.050 and an FG of 1.000. That gives it an approximate ABV of 6.7%. If that's what you want then no need to fiddle.

I personally won't push the gravity much past 1.070 without yeast nutrient. Even with a good strain of yeast you're liable to get flavors that you won't care for otherwise. If you want to go up to 1.070 you need to add 20 gravity points per gallon. Table sugar has 46 gravity points per lb. So 0.43~ lbs of table sugar. That comes out to almost exactly 1 cup of granulated sugar volumetrically per gallon.

Just put together 4 gallons motts AJ and a gallon of juicy juice cherry and pitched an ale yeast. I'm going to back sweeten and prime with these:
Dynamic Health , Black Cherry Juice Concentrate, 8-Ounce Bottle, (Pack of 2) by Dynamic Health http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E127O6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Not sure how many yet, but bought 48 oz.. Got to also figure out how much more sugar I need to add before bottling as I am carbonating. May have to wing it and see what happens. I'm looking for a nice carbonated sweet cherry flavor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put together 4 gallons motts AJ and a gallon of juicy juice cherry and pitched an ale yeast. I'm going to back sweeten and prime with these:
Dynamic Health , Black Cherry Juice Concentrate, 8-Ounce Bottle, (Pack of 2) by Dynamic Health http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E127O6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Not sure how many yet, but bought 48 oz.. Got to also figure out how much more sugar I need to add before bottling as I am carbonating. May have to wing it and see what happens. I'm looking for a nice carbonated sweet cherry flavor.

The amount of sugar you need for backsweetening is typically far in excess of what you need to bottle carb. You'll want to keep some in a plastic soda bottle of about the same volume of the bottles you are filling. When the plastic bottle is hard to the touch your bottles are carbed, and you will then want to pasteurize to keep them from exploding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic idea! I just put some numbers together and I would have some major bottle bombs if I added 48oz of concentrated cherry juice. It would be be more than 5 times too much sugar for carbonation. So, with using the plastic bottle idea and excess sugar in priming, I assume the process with carbing will take much less time compared to a two week period correct?

Fantastic idea! I just put some numbers together and I would have some major bottle bombs if I added 48oz of concentrated cherry juice. It would be be more than 5 times too much sugar for carbonation. So, with using the plastic bottle idea and excess sugar in priming, I assume the process with carbing will take much less time compared to a two week period correct?

Actually, the amount of time it takes for your bottles to carb varies massively. The amount of yeast suspended in your brew is actually far more important that the actual amount of sugar. The temperate is important too. It's best to check the plastic bottle on a daily basis. I've seen batches carb in two or three days a few times.

EDIT: Generally speaking the pressure increase is linear, so after a few days you'll know if it's carbing up fast or slow.

Makes sense... I just scored a great deal on amazon for a 5 gallon carboy shipped for $24 so going to transfer recipe to secondary which I have never done. I assume most yeast will be left behind which will yield a slower carb. Am I correct with this assumption??

I have a question concerning the heating of bottles to kill off the yeast. I have my first batch of cider (Plain Jane) in the Primary, and used Nottingham. I saw someone say to heat them to avoid bottle bombs, but doesn't this also make it a still cider? This is the first thread I have seen talk about that. I am bottling, not kegging yet. I did not get an OG.. :( I really wanted it carbed... lol

I have a question concerning the heating of bottles to kill off the yeast. I have my first batch of cider (Plain Jane) in the Primary, and used Nottingham. I saw someone say to heat them to avoid bottle bombs, but doesn't this also make it a still cider? This is the first thread I have seen talk about that. I am bottling, not kegging yet. I did not get an OG.. :( I really wanted it carbed... lol

There is a thread for Caramel Apple Hard Cider that addresses this pretty thoroughly. The heating of the bottles stops the process but does not reduce the carbonation that has occurred. WARNING if the bottles are overcarbed, do not attempt to heat pasturrize them. Chill them to near freezing instead (normal fridge temps).

So, I can accomplish the same effect by moving them to the fridge vs heat pasteurizing? I conveniently have a beer fridge in the garage.... :)

Yes, correct. This will make the yeast go to sleep, but not kill them. Pasteurization would in fact kill them.

I'm about ready to make a second batch of this. I'm looking to change it up a bit, has anyone added fruit to their cider with success? If so when did you add it? Primary or secondary?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

So, I can accomplish the same effect by moving them to the fridge vs heat pasteurizing? I conveniently have a beer fridge in the garage.... :)

Exactly correct on all accounts. When I bottle a batch, I fill 2 12 oz water bottles with cider. At about 48-72 hours, if one is firm, I open it and pour. ( This is based on adding a caramel syrup with a cup of brown sugar and 5 cans FAJC to the bottling bucket) Not carbed enough yet, try another in 24 hours. And so on. Once I get the carb I want, into the fridge they go. Time for em to sleep. If I have overcarbed, no worries, pour slowly. Undercarbed? Take em out and give em another 24 hours. The challenge here is you cant let em sit around and get warmed up (like room temp for days) or they will explode if there is enough sugar in em. Or give em a a gift if they wont keep em in a fridge.
I will continue to do it this way until I get a dishwasher. Ive tried stovetop pastuerizing and had 3 explode. Dint want to risk it in my oven, now, inside my grill is a possibility...

Makes sense... I just scored a great deal on amazon for a 5 gallon carboy shipped for $24 so going to transfer recipe to secondary which I have never done. I assume most yeast will be left behind which will yield a slower carb. Am I correct with this assumption??

Yes. You are going to reduce the amount of yeast in the mix, so things will take a bit longer.

There is a thread for Caramel Apple Hard Cider that addresses this pretty thoroughly. The heating of the bottles stops the process but does not reduce the carbonation that has occurred. WARNING if the bottles are overcarbed, do not attempt to heat pasturrize them. Chill them to near freezing instead (normal fridge temps).

That's only partly correct.

Yes, correct. This will make the yeast go to sleep, but not kill them. Pasteurization would in fact kill them.

That's right.

Exactly correct on all accounts. When I bottle a batch, I fill 2 12 oz water bottles with cider. At about 48-72 hours, if one is firm, I open it and pour. ( This is based on adding a caramel syrup with a cup of brown sugar and 5 cans FAJC to the bottling bucket) Not carbed enough yet, try another in 24 hours. And so on. Once I get the carb I want, into the fridge they go. Time for em to sleep. If I have overcarbed, no worries, pour slowly. Undercarbed? Take em out and give em another 24 hours. The challenge here is you cant let em sit around and get warmed up (like room temp for days) or they will explode if there is enough sugar in em. Or give em a a gift if they wont keep em in a fridge.
I will continue to do it this way until I get a dishwasher. Ive tried stovetop pastuerizing and had 3 explode. Dint want to risk it in my oven, now, inside my grill is a possibility...

With live yeast in the bottle at fridge temps fermentation will still continue, just much more slowly. If you don't pasteurize and kill the yeast off, and you have to much sugar in the bottle, your bottles will eventually explode. You've probably just been drinking your brew before that happens.

If you want to avoid bottles breaking during pasteurization you can do that by avoiding thermal shock. Put a wire rack, or false bottom, in a large pot. Put the bottles on top of that. Cover the bottles with luke warm or cool water. Heat the pot of water until the water temp reaches 160f. Either remove the bottles from the water and set them on a towel to cool, or turn off the heat and allow the pot to cool. A silicone oven mit, or a jar lifter work well for removing the bottles.

Do not add hot water to the pot. Do not reuse hot water when doing multiple batches. Pour it out and start with new cool water. Do not set the bottles directly on the bottom of the pot. Do not set the bottles directly on the counter. Do not try to pasteurize obviously flawed bottled.

This process is essentially identical to water bath canning, only at a lower temperature.

I hope that clears a few things up, here's wishing you no bottle bombs. :mug:

Yes. You are going to reduce the amount of yeast in the mix, so things will take a bit longer.

That's right.

With live yeast in the bottle at fridge temps fermentation will still continue, just much more slowly. If you don't pasteurize and kill the yeast off, and you have to much sugar in the bottle, your bottles will eventually explode. You've probably just been drinking your brew before that happens.

If you want to avoid bottles breaking during pasteurization you can do that by avoiding thermal shock. Put a wire rack, or false bottom, in a large pot. Put the bottles on top of that. Cover the bottles with luke warm or cool water. Heat the pot of water until the water temp reaches 160f. Either remove the bottles from the water and set them on a towel to cool, or turn off the heat and allow the pot to cool. A silicone oven mit, or a jar lifter work well for removing the bottles.

Do not add hot water to the pot. Do not reuse hot water when doing multiple batches. Pour it out and start with new cool water. Do not set the bottles directly on the bottom of the pot. Do not set the bottles directly on the counter. Do not try to pasteurize obviously flawed bottled.

This process is essentially identical to water bath canning, only at a lower temperature.

LeadGolem,
I appreciate your insights. Ive learned a few things here tonight, as they say "The devils in the details". With the caramel Apple hard Cider recipe, Ive been able to create a hard cider that is drinkable and enjoyable. Im gone 4 days each week for work, so Ive had to find a way that works for me (fridge the yeast). Ive known there is a better way. More complete. Jus cant pursue it. Good advice though.

That's right.

LeadGolem,
I appreciate your insights. Ive learned a few things here tonight, as they say "The devils in the details". With the caramel Apple hard Cider recipe, Ive been able to create a hard cider that is drinkable and enjoyable. Im gone 4 days each week for work, so Ive had to find a way that works for me (fridge the yeast). Ive known there is a better way. More complete. Jus cant pursue it. Good advice though.

LeadGolem,
Hey, whatever works for you. I've just seen to many bottles blow corks, or destroy fridges that got left to long. Rice wine is the worst. That stuff really doesn't seem to care if it's cold, it just keeps fermenting along.

And on Nottingham, the LHBS told me that Notty can't survive in a high alcohol environment, say over 8%... They told me that my cider would kill it off on it's own, since it's going to be 8.5-9%
Any input?

Ive only made the Caramel Apple Hard Cuder recipe, and my ABV is consistently @7.75%. When I bottle, my Notty is very healthy!!! If I dont pastuerize of cold crash in the fridge, I will have bottle bombs. I do know that in this given scenario, Notty sops working at fridge temps.

Just sent my blood to secondary after 2 1/2 weeks... SG 1.050, now 1.012 with 4 gallons motts and 1 gallon juicy juice cherry. Gonna let it clear and stabilize for a week or two, then back sweeten with dark cherry concentrate out of bottle. No clue how much im gonna throw in as I have 48oz. of this goodness, pending taste. Wish me luck as I will be carbing this batch. Please, please, no bombers cider gods as I am using 2 20oz. Pepsi bottles to judge carb then pasteurize in dishwasher for the first time.

So I made some of this not too long ago. Came out great! I was watching Harry Potter the other day and when they show unicorn blood, it's actually more of a silver color. It saddened me that my drank was not comparable in color.

I want to thank all of y'all for trying my cider recipe and express how glad I am that everyone has liked it so much. I have slowly been refining my process and collecting everything I need to create a tutorial to include pasteurization. Been slow going though since life is always crazy for me. I started a year ago and hope I finish in the next year some time.... Or decade...

:mug: Don't drink too much!

Peace

I wonder... I use Nottingham exclusively for my hard ciders. Maybe its a real good sleeper at fridge temps?

Possibly so. According to Danstar it's cold tolerant to 57f.

And on Nottingham, the LHBS told me that Notty can't survive in a high alcohol environment, say over 8%... They told me that my cider would kill it off on it's own, since it's going to be 8.5-9%
Any input?
There are reports on this forum of notty fermenting to 9.5, so I believe your LHBS is in error.

If you are concerned, pretty much any white wine yeast makes good cider. I like montrachet for wine and cider up to 11% and pasteur champagne for brews up to 14%.

I do not use knotty myself, so I don't have enough data to say my suppositions on the strain are more then opinion.
So I made some of this not too long ago. Came out great! I was watching Harry Potter the other day and when they show unicorn blood, it's actually more of a silver color. It saddened me that my drank was not comparable in color.
That might be an interesting project. I wonder how one could achieve that kind of liquid silver look without using something that either tastes bad or is outright poisonous.

Waiting for bottles to sanitize in dishwasher, took a picture of uni blood nice and clear and ready for bottling. Lower left is Dynamic Healths pure 100% black cherry concentrate to flavor and back sweeten. No clue how much I'm gonna use but just took a tiny sip and holy crap, is it strong!!! Must use with caution...ATTACH]188765[/ATTACH]

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395882530.008654.jpg

I have two batches of this in the fermenter right now. (Both 1 gallon). Had some Apple Cider so I made one with Cider and the other with Apple Juice. My sister and her husband love ciders so it is more for them. Thank goodness I have about 2 months before I see them again.

Ended up pooring 16oz. Pure black cherry concentrate out of the 48oz. I had purchased. At 3/4 bottle in, still tasted a bit dry then the extra 1/4 bottle hit the sweet spot. Sipping on some leftovers now, still young but not too bad.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395890163.727769.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1395890291.851289.jpg

I have just racked this recipe off after a week. Of of 1055 racked off at 1015 and going to bottle at 1010. Had a sneaky taste and it is amazing! Can't wait to drink it! Going to have to make another couple of batches for bbqs as it is going to be popular I think!
Cheers for your input people! Keep the recipes and any alterations going!

Once it is sufficiently carbed, and I put it in the fridge, will it continue to "age" or can that only happen at room temp?

I found it at least notable that my caramel Apple Hard cider fermented with Nottingham stops the carbonation process when I put it in my fridge, at approx 38 deg, and my lagers clarify and age as they sit at 38 deg. Of course, it is lager yeast, and thise do impeove over time as they sit bottles at room temp.

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

So I changed it up using yours as a starting place and the additives that LabelPeelers.com uses with their seasonal cider kit... This is what I ended up with.

Recipe Type: Cider
Yeast: 2 packs EC-1118
Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.000
Boiling Time (Minutes): N/A
Color: Blush
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 65F for 2 weeks room temp
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 65F for 2 Months
Tasting Notes: Tart & Dry

4 1/2 gallons Local Raw Cider
1/2 gallon R.W. Knudsen Tart Cherry Juice

Started on 10/5
Mixed 2 packs EC-1118 yeast in a cup of cider and put aside while assembling everything else.

Mixed 2cups of cider with the following:
1 Tsp acid blend
2 Tsp tannin
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
5 tsp yeast energizer

Mixed remaining cider with cherry juice and 1 cup light brown sugar.
Mixed everything together but the yeast with a mix-stir for 30 seconds to aerate a bit.
Added the yeast with cider and shook a bit to mix.

10/18 Racked to secondary
11/10 Added anti-oxident per package instructions
12/18 Bottled with 111.3g Corn Sugar.

finishing last bottle soon and planning on making more...

Back