Unexpected low hdrometer reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

My first batch went perfectly and i got a solid 1.060 reading on my hydrometer back then

I've just finished my second batch, and my hydrometer is a shocking 1.020!?
I dont understand whats different, the only change i made to the process was the hops i used for the aroma near the end of the boil

hydrometer is working correctly, tested with water

what could ahve gone wrong? :(
a 1% beer seems such a waste of time and effort :'(

Ryan

What was the wort temp? Did you correct the hydro reading for temp?

Extract batch with topoff water? If so, are the wort and water thoroughly mixed?

Thanks for getting back to me soo quickly!

Wort as at room temperature when the reading was taken

There was topoff water introduced by was thoroughly mixed through

How much extract did you add?

what was your boil volume, and what is your final volume?

What was your method for topping up?

You likely had a hydro sample that was not mixed well resulting in the low reading. If you added the proper amount of extract then you don't have anything to worry about. I don't even take OG readings on extract batches because the extract is so reliable in the amount of gravity points that it gives you it is pointless to do so other than piece of mind.

oh my god heavywalker you just made me realize what i've done wrong!

I only added one 1.5KG tin of malt extract when i was supposed to add in two!

What a disaster :(

Problem solved - i f**ked up
Thanks anyway everyone

What stage of fermentation is it in? You can always dissolve the rest of the extract in some water, boil for ten minutes then add to the fermenter.

I literary just finished about two hours ago

If i ordered some extract today and it arrived in a day or so - would that be time enough do you reckon?

It happens. You don't have to reboil anything though. Just add your extract, but get your yeast in there quickly. With a starter, you should have plenty of yeasties to fight (and easily win) if anything gets in there. Sometimes dme will be a little clumpy. Just swirl the carboy/bucket a couple of times for the next two days. Liquid is even easier.

Done it a dozen times with no issues. I drink too much...

What you have made is a very large starter. You can add more fermentables while active fermentation is going on.
Would you happen to have enough DME, used for starters, on hand to substitute for the LME?

Back