Understanding some new BJCP Guidelines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddcow

Reaction score
I am looking to enter my first lager into a competition. With the new guidelines I am a little confused on which category I should enter it. My beer is an attempt at a Munich Helles. My efficiency got the best of me and so my OG ended up at 1.054 instead of 1.048. Not a huge deal but would like some input. I realize without actually tasting my beer it is hard to know what style it really falls under. So maybe just help me understand differences in categories so that I can choose myself. So, numbers wise, I see it would fit in 4B Festbier and 5C German Helles Exportbier. Under the old category system I probably would have put it under Exportbier but with the new category of Festbier, would I do better there? Both under the BJCP guidelines are very similar as far as body, mouthfeel, and bitterness. From my reading, I would guess that Festbier would be maltier taste-wise and Exportbier would be slightly drier and slightly more bitter. Am I right in reading this? Should I buy some of the examples under each category and see what is closest? Would I have a better chance with Festbier because its a new category? Or should I just enter it as a Munich Helles because that is what I was going for? Sorry for all the questions. Its just that is what is going through my head at this moment. Also, I will be lagering for the next 2-3 months before the actual competition so I wont really be choosing til the last minute when I know what the final product will taste like. Any input would be appreciated!

Just because your OG is higher than anticipated does not prevent you from entering under Munich Helles. The style guidelines are guidelines but most competitions currently do not actually look at your recipe numbers, though there are many people who enter comps that feel that a beer should fall completely in guidelines or be thrown out of the competition.

What you need to do is judge your beer against the guidelines when it is ready to drink and determine if it looks, smells and tastes like a Munich Helles should. It should be gold colored, with a grainy sweet malty flavor.

Festbier = Ocktoberfests which means more deep yellow to deep gold color. It is slightly more maltier than a Munich Helles and have a light toasty malt character.

German Helles Exportbier basically is a German Dortmunder a certain style from the city of Dortmund. It is more bitter than a Munich Helles and usually has minerally water...which in many cases means you would have had to adjust your water accordingly.

Finally, be aware that while the new guidelines are out, it does not mean that every competition is immediately switching over to using them. I would assume judges will need some time to get up to date on it. Therefore when entering a competition, read their posted rules to see if they are still using the 2008 guidelines.

I second the recommendation to check which guidelines the competition you're entering will use this year. I'd bet it's the old guidelines.

Also, don't worry about being a bit out of the numbers as long as it doesn't alter the character of the beer enough that you'd no longer consider it a helles. I think it's generally a good idea to have a beer that will stand out while not being completely out of bounds. Important to read the descriptions (which you clearly have) and judge your beer based on how it is perceived vs those descriptions rather than how the numbers line up. The judges aren't going to peg the O.G. in their tasting.

Thank yall for your input. The rules for the comp that i was looking at said will be using new 2015 guidelines. Honestly, this is why I had questions. Today was the first time i actually started reading into all the new categories. For now ill plan to still enter as a Helles. Ill taste again before entering and adjust accordingly. Thanks again. Sometimes i just need a little reassurance, lol.

Back