Undercarbed First Batch - Fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yawpstang64

Reaction score
first batch came out undercarbed due to rush bottling with regular sugar and a less than adequate amount.
its a brown ale, bottled 16 days ago which has been conditioning at 68-72* and chilled for about 24 hrs before opening; almost zero head, just noticeable carbonation.
anyway to add a bit more carbonation to bottles?

also, I did a number of 22ozs but I've only tried 12s - will they be more carbed?

first batch came out undercarbed due to rush bottling with regular sugar and a less than adequate amount.
its a brown ale, bottled 16 days ago which has been conditioning at 68-72* and chilled for about 24 hrs before opening; almost zero head, just noticeable carbonation.
anyway to add a bit more carbonation to bottles?

If you used too little priming sugar there really isn't a good fix. You haven't given them near enough time to fully carb though, so they might just be fine. Reccomendations on this forum for bottle carbing are a MINMUM of 3 weeks at 70F. Lower temps will extend that time frame, and even at warmer temps many beers take much longer to reach full carbonation. What was the volume of beer, amount of priming sugar, and beer temp at bottling?

also, I did a number of 22ozs but I've only tried 12s - will they be more carbed?

If you bulk primed then the difference in carbonation will be so small as to be unoticeable. If you primed each bottle individually then they could have more or less carbonation depending on how you did your measuring.

+1 for more time. Last July l made an IPA that has only recently been showing signs of being fully carbed.

Latest posts

Back