Undercarbed after 3 weeks - solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherT515

Reaction score
I left it up to my friend who I brew with frequently to handle to bottling of one of our recent batches. I suppose I should have left him with more specific instructions on priming sugar amounts but what is in the past has past.

He says he only used about 1.5oz of priming sugar for a 5gal batch of oatmeal stout. We waited for the bottles to (hopefully) carb up, but after the standard 3 week point we found ourselves with flat beer.

I think it is clear that our initial addition of priming sugar was not enough - is there anything that can be done to save this batch? It is otherwise in fine condition (no infections, oxidation, etc.).

Has anybody ever had to uncap, pour out, reprime, and rebottle a batch? This is really the only solution that I can think of at this point.

Thanks in advance,
Trent

I left it up to my friend who I brew with frequently to handle to bottling of one of our recent batches. I suppose I should have left him with more specific instructions on priming sugar amounts but what is in the past has past.

He says he only used about 1.5oz of priming sugar for a 5gal batch of oatmeal stout. We waited for the bottles to (hopefully) carb up, but after the standard 3 week point we found ourselves with flat beer.

I think it is clear that our initial addition of priming sugar was not enough - is there anything that can be done to save this batch? It is otherwise in fine condition (no infections, oxidation, etc.).

Has anybody ever had to uncap, pour out, reprime, and rebottle a batch? This is really the only solution that I can think of at this point.

Thanks in advance,
Trent

Wait! Don't go all drastic. What was the temp where the bottles were stored? Was the priming sugar added to the batch or by bottle ( batch right?) what were the bottles cleaned with?

I would go with some carbonation drops 1 in each bottle.
Then invert the bottles a couple of times to rouse the yeast.
Then let them sit another couple of weeks and the carbonation should be much better.

Can try to get some Prime Tabs and put 2-3 per bottle and recap. That will save from trying to pour the beer back out, which will possibly lead to issues with oxygen. Coopers also makes priming drops as well, but I never have used those.

You don't want to "pour out" your beer, you will oxidyze the hell out of it. What do you think it's going to be falling through???? Air + Fermented beer = liquid cardboard.

Add carb drops to the bottle, but don't go all the way back to re-bottling it. Just re cap it.

I'd upcap, gently drop in one or two "carb tablets" and recap. There are two carb tabs that I know of- Munton's and another one whose name I've forgotten. Follow the "dosage" on the packet for a 12 ounce bottle, and recap, and you'll be all set!

What were the gravitiy readings of the beer? 3 weeks is generally seen as minimum for proper carbonation. You could always pop them and use priming tabs, or you could wait. The problem might fix itself.

the bottles were stored at room temp (68-70) for what is now 4+ weeks.

we have determinded with 100% certainty that the cause of the issue was insufficient amounts of priming sugar added prior to the intial bottling.

what would be the best way to carb these up, if at all? if i open them up to add more sugar, i'll be letting out the CO2 that i got from the initial amount (which was about 1/2 of what it needed to be).

thoughts?

Both Yooper and I have already answered that for you. Carb drops.

+1, I chimed in about the carb drops/tabs as well. This should set you up pretty well. If it is not completely flat (i.e. they have a slight bit of carbonation) be wary of when you drop in the tabs/drops. You WILL get a lot of foaming and it can be fairly quick in forming. If so, just recap one at a time instead of setting caps on top and capping at the end. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Jerry

Back