under carbonated ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damogreg

Reaction score
Hi,
I am relatively new to homebrewing and have been using kegs for my lager, I have bottled 1 batch of lager that came out lovely, so I decided to bottle a batch of ale. It was in primary fermentation for 3 weeks before bottling. I know ale shouldnt be too fizzy but mine is way too flat. I was wondering if I could open the bottle and put more sugar in before re-capping the bottles. I dont want to just do it and ruin a whole batch of ale, so I thought I would ask the people who know, i.e you.
Thankyou for your time.

Thanks for your speedy reply mate.
They were indoors for 2 weeks before being moved to the garage where it is very cold at the moment, should I bring them back in, shake the bottles and leave them indoors for another week, or another 3 weeks? i'm not in a rush to drink them, but I do like to test one every now and then.

Thanks for your speedy reply mate.
They were indoors for 2 weeks before being moved to the garage where it is very cold at the moment, should I bring them back in, shake the bottles and leave them indoors for another week, or another 3 weeks? i'm not in a rush to drink them, but I do like to test one every now and then.

Get them to room temp...preferably at the 70 level. No need to shake...but giving them a gentle rocking to agitate the dormant yeast will do wonders.

Don't move them back to a cold area until you're satisfied they are fully carb'd. :mug:

first how much priming sugar did you add? what was the temperature of the beer when you bottled? how long did you wait before trying a bottle?

some batches of beer take longer to carb than others. some bottles take longer to carb than others.

first how much priming sugar did you add? what was the temperature of the beer when you bottled? how long did you wait before trying a bottle?

some batches of beer take longer to carb than others. some bottles take longer to carb than others.

Hi mate, I am using coopers carb drops, when I done my lagers I used 2 drops per 500ml bottle, but as this one was an ale I only used 1 per bottle. The beer had been in my airing cupboard and i'm not sure on the temp when I bottled, im quite new to this game so am still picking up little tips, i'll take a temp on my next one. I waited about 2 weeks indoors and a week outside, so 3 weeks in all before trying, its been about 3 weeks outside now and they are drinkable, just flatter than I would like. Oh well, I will get it right next time. :)

Latest posts

Back