Unboxing the Nano from CO Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be curious to hear when you get brewing what you're maximum amount of grain is? I can barely contain my excitement. I'm so stoked. I know that I'll probably want to go bigger after running with this for a while. Thanks for the close up pics of both styles of plugs you put on. Did either of you put in 30a gfci breaker on your box?

Happy to help! I felt the same way when pretzelb started this thread! I did go with a gfci breaker I would be afraid of not doing that with all that water

I'd be curious to hear when you get brewing what you're maximum amount of grain is? I can barely contain my excitement. I'm so stoked. I know that I'll probably want to go bigger after running with this for a while. Thanks for the close up pics of both styles of plugs you put on. Did either of you put in 30a gfci breaker on your box?

I put the GFCI on mine. I don't like to fool around with electrical safety. But just so you know, we had a misunderstanding during the install so I had to drive and buy the GFCI for the electrician. Instead of being $10 with no GFCI it costs about $110 with GFCI. The supply store only had 1 in stock. To make it even weirder, the highly ranked company I first contacted wanted $600 for that same part. To be fair they included labor in all their parts (so there was no labor charge separate) but the 2nd ranked company (which is just 1 guy and his truck) just charged me for parts and labor.

As far as going bigger, don't forget you can still sparge. I still need to test it out but my guess is I can't do something crazy like 10g of barley wine. But if I might be able to hold back on some water and then just pour it over the basket while suspended if full volume won't fit. The trick will be how the recirc does with a thicker mash. But if I can get my crush down I hope that won't be an issue.

Once I get variables nailed down for full volume, I will probably experiment with holding back some water and sparging just to see if it bumps the numbers.

I thought I would share a few thoughts on my first two brew days.

First batch was a 11.5 gallon clone of Yellow Rose, probably top ten favorite beers I have ever had. It is a SMASH with pilsner and mosaic. Playing off of what pretzelb had said I added an extra 3 lbs of pils thinking I needed to compensate for early learning curve. Total grain bill was pushing 30lbs. With the water that about maxed out the system for a 11.5 gallon batch. Any more and you would need to hold water back and sparge. The session was less than perfect, system seemed to hold temp well but could never really get a whirlpool going. I figured with a bigger batch I would skip pretzelb's rec on adding tubing. Not a great plan. Still, to my surprise I overshot my OG and ended up a full % higher than I thought. Next lesson was that my CFC was not well thought out, it didn't work so I had to cool as much as possible then get it in the fermentors and hope for the best. I have two of the SST Conicals with FTSS temp control. Again, not really well thought out it took me a lot of time to get the first batch down to pitching temp.

Brew number two went much smoother. This was a clone of Tired Hands Hop Hands. I have a friend in Nashville who runs a yeast lab and had a good Vermont strain so that helped a ton. I took pretzelb's rec this time an used a hose in the mash as this was a 5 gallon batch with much better results. Only bad was that this one undershot OG. I also figured out that buckets of ice water could get me to pitching temp pretty quick with FTSS so this one was bubbling away after only 8 hours.

Lessons learned:

Some silicon tube attached to the recirc tube made huge difference.

30 lbs with 18 gallons of water is about the max on a 20 gallon system without holding some water back

Much easier than my old Keggle system to clean and move

Whirlpool really does work, no need for hop bags or spiders

Love, love, love electric. Easy and quick to increase heat with so much less residual heat. I left a sponge on the frame where the kettle sits it didn't even get hot!

While I doubt it will ever be "set it and forget it" I think once I get it dialed in I won't have to babysit it much.

Not crazy about the new whirlpool arm, it may be user error (probably) but getting the screw tight enough is challenging

The spreadsheet that Tim provided for water calculation was pretty spot on, both batches I ended up with what I expected in the fermentor

That's it for now, I will report back when I sample the beers!

So I come home and say hello to my husband and I wander into the kitchen and smack in the middle of my line of sight, out the patio doors is a very large box, Looking a little beat. I remember the post from Jready and the pic and I thought, "Damn, someone had a bad day." And then mine arrived...and I think that was careful handling. The delivery guy for our area always puts packages in our backyard and this one, he went the extra mile and put it near our deck steps and out of the view of casual passersby. I really need to call and give this guy's supervisor some nice words for him.

I promised the hubby I wouldn't put it together until the garage was done, but I did take it apart and inventory the parts. Only missing 1 screw and it looks like it might have gotten vibrated loose because the nut is in the basket. It wasn't in the bottom of the box.

It has a sight glass that I wasn't expecting though. So now I have to get on this garage rebuild and attach my plug. Estimating 3 weeks until I can brew on it. In the meantime, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

20160502_175523.jpg

20160502_180231.jpg

Can you post a copy of the spreadsheet you got from Tim?

Congrats on the new system! You will love it and that should be the motivation you need to finish the garage![emoji3]

Not sure if I know how to post the spreadsheet but I will try. Also you can pm me your email address I have shared it that way with a few folks.

I have the 20 gal system. So far its been ok. It seems to have changed somewhat from when I got it last summer.

Not sure how much grain you could put in the basket, I find I have to suspend the basket with 15lbs or so because it slips below the water surface and the grain would come out. The top outlet could be a little higher as well.

One thing I learned is to put the basket back in after boil and run the hose through it to filter any sediment out before I run through my plate chiller that seems to work pretty well.

I havent tried a 5 gal batch yet.

Overall im happy with it, but I would have changed a few things.

thank you for the calculator.

One thing I learned is to put the basket back in after boil and run the hose through it to filter any sediment out before I run through my plate chiller that seems to work pretty well.

Really? The mesh doesn't look like it would filter much. I might have to try that.

Cant wait to see it unwrapped...

Am i the only one who thought "Well la de da look at this ****ing guy with floor molding in his garage" :)

Is that a thing in certain places ive never seen such a thing.

Down here in Texas it is quite common to have floor moldings in the garage of custom homes. :mug:

Sight glass arrived and I found an electrician to install the outlet. Had issues getting the sight glass to not leak. But first test with water is going well.

Looks very cool. I designed and built my own ebrew system. I love to make stuff and I have a degree in electronics so no biggy. Now I'm building a 236 sq ft brewery to put it in. I'll post pic later.
Prost!

true its not a super fine filter, but I figure if i can keep the bigger particles out that will be better than just letting it all in the plate chiller...

I have a hop spider 300 micron, but its too fine and will plug up if i try to use that...

Really? The mesh doesn't look like it would filter much. I might have to try that.

Wow, the biggest I have had is 23 pounds so far. and that seemed to be stretching it... I have the same kettle.

Yep it's the 20 gallon with the 18 gallons of strike water I ended up with just a hair under 12 gallons in the fermentor

Can't remember if I mentioned this already, but I've had the same thing happen when I switched to recirculating eBIAB. I was used to crushing very finely, at 0.025, but found I couldn't recirculate effectively at that setting. I ended up settling on 0.040 and that worked great.

This last brew day I conditioned my grains and brought it down to 0.035. Worked great there too. I'd definitely recommend loosening that gap, but you might try conditioning as well.

Quick q. When you turned on your pump, did you let it go full throttle right out of the gate? I've found it is helpful to gradually increase the flow rate of the pump over the course of several minutes. Another thing, I've also found it helpful to I dough in and let it sit for about 10 minutes before starting the pump.

Hope this helps.

We have mostly the same system (not the Nano), so I'd like to thread hijack for a second. What do you do about temps at dough-in? Just turn the element off? When water is not circulating over the temp probe it will just turn the probe on full and leave it there.

Also, when do you condition your grain? The night before, or the same morning?

Quick question - how big of a beer can you make in a 20G nano for a 10 gal batch? It seems from this thread that most people are maxing out at ~20-25lbs of grain?

Also has anyone ever tried using a immersion chiller for BIAB - seems most people here will use a counterflow/plate chiller with the pump.

We have mostly the same system (not the Nano), so I'd like to thread hijack for a second. What do you do about temps at dough-in? Just turn the element off? When water is not circulating over the temp probe it will just turn the probe on full and leave it there.

Also, when do you condition your grain? The night before, or the same morning?

Turn the element off. I conditioned just before milling, which is usually just a few minutes before dough-in. I'd have no qualms about conditioning and milling the night before.

I was an ‘early adopter’ of the CBS BIAB system and figured that I should share my experiences. We put together my rig before Tim was selling BIAB systems and my whole system is pretty much custom. My system is similar to what he is now selling as the nano bewer dual system in that I have 2 20G Kettles that can run simultaneously. I am extremely happy with the system and Tim has been a pleasure to work with. I highly recommend CBS anyone who is looking for an electric system and you really cannot beat the price for what you get. While the kettles and welding are not as ‘pretty’ as some of the expensive stuff, they work well, are sanitary, and having the triclamps exactly where I want them is totally awesome at a fraction of the price.

I use brewsmith and am happy to share my 5.5 and 11G profiles. At 70% output, I get ~ 1.25G/hr evap. I get > 85% mash efficiency. My overall brewhouse efficiency works out to around 67-70% with 5.5G and 72-3% with 11G. This is due to the fixed kettle / chiller losses which are ~1.5G. I can eek a little more out if I tilt the kettle, but I only do this for light beers with minimal hop debris. I use a CFC chiller and whirlpool full throttle until the output is at the desired temp (the cooling liquid is ~ 35 deg so this works really well). When doing hop stands, I turn off the cooling liquid and let it whirlpool, then resume cooling when ready. I get a decent pile of trub/hop debris in the center, however it is not nearly as tight as what I used to get before switching over to electric. Thus, the wort in going to my fermenters has a lot of trub, but I am not sure that that really matters much to me except when trying to collect yeast. I think some sort of a trub damn would be a nice addition if it did not hinder flow, but based on the trub xbmts from brulosophy I don’t really sweat it.

I had my mash basket fabricated from arbor fab (this was before Tim started making them). My basket is entirely mesh, not the new ones with solid sides. Reading though these posts, I think a lot of the problems that people are having is due to not whirlpooling the mash strong enough coupled with the solid sides. I believe Tim came up with the solid sides to ensure that the whirlpool is really strong when used with the arm that he is selling. I imagine that it will work much better when doing full sized batches as the mash will be thinner. Perhaps slowing the pump flow is actually making the slow drainage from the basket worse as it may drain faster if the mash is not settling on the bottom. I have a port though the lid that I attach a long piece of silicone tube to. I wrap it around the basket a few times so that it stays in place. I found this to be key to making the entire mash swirl in the basket. Once I got this worked out my efficiency improved and became much more consistent. I never had problems with slow drainage as my whole basket is mesh…

As far as calibrating the sight glass, mine increases 0.89 inch (22.66mm) per gallon. Unless Tim changed 20G kettles, this should work for you.

Here are the profiles and a pic of the system before I got the second kettle set up.

Cheers!

View attachment 5 1-2G eBIAB.bsmx

View attachment 11G eBIAB.bsmx

IMG_20160116_091123240.jpg

I was an ‘early adopter’ of the CBS BIAB system and figured that I should share my experiences. We put together my rig before Tim was selling BIAB systems and my whole system is pretty much custom. My system is similar to what he is now selling as the nano bewer dual system in that I have 2 20G Kettles that can run simultaneously. I am extremely happy with the system and Tim has been a pleasure to work with. I highly recommend CBS anyone who is looking for an electric system and you really cannot beat the price for what you get. While the kettles and welding are not as ‘pretty’ as some of the expensive stuff, they work well, are sanitary, and having the triclamps exactly where I want them is totally awesome at a fraction of the price.

I use brewsmith and am happy to share my 5.5 and 11G profiles. At 70% output, I get ~ 1.25G/hr evap. I get > 85% mash efficiency. My overall brewhouse efficiency works out to around 67-70% with 5.5G and 72-3% with 11G. This is due to the fixed kettle / chiller losses which are ~1.5G. I can eek a little more out if I tilt the kettle, but I only do this for light beers with minimal hop debris. I use a CFC chiller and whirlpool full throttle until the output is at the desired temp (the cooling liquid is ~ 35 deg so this works really well). When doing hop stands, I turn off the cooling liquid and let it whirlpool, then resume cooling when ready. I get a decent pile of trub/hop debris in the center, however it is not nearly as tight as what I used to get before switching over to electric. Thus, the wort in going to my fermenters has a lot of trub, but I am not sure that that really matters much to me except when trying to collect yeast. I think some sort of a trub damn would be a nice addition if it did not hinder flow, but based on the trub xbmts from brulosophy I don’t really sweat it.

I had my mash basket fabricated from arbor fab (this was before Tim started making them). My basket is entirely mesh, not the new ones with solid sides. Reading though these posts, I think a lot of the problems that people are having is due to not whirlpooling the mash strong enough coupled with the solid sides. I believe Tim came up with the solid sides to ensure that the whirlpool is really strong when used with the arm that he is selling. I imagine that it will work much better when doing full sized batches as the mash will be thinner. Perhaps slowing the pump flow is actually making the slow drainage from the basket worse as it may drain faster if the mash is not settling on the bottom. I have a port though the lid that I attach a long piece of silicone tube to. I wrap it around the basket a few times so that it stays in place. I found this to be key to making the entire mash swirl in the basket. Once I got this worked out my efficiency improved and became much more consistent. I never had problems with slow drainage as my whole basket is mesh…

As far as calibrating the sight glass, mine increases 0.89 inch (22.66mm) per gallon. Unless Tim changed 20G kettles, this should work for you.

Here are the profiles and a pic of the system before I got the second kettle set up.

Cheers!

Great post thanks for sharing the profiles!!

Quick question - how big of a beer can you make in a 20G nano for a 10 gal batch? It seems from this thread that most people are maxing out at ~20-25lbs of grain?

Also has anyone ever tried using a immersion chiller for BIAB - seems most people here will use a counterflow/plate chiller with the pump.

So my yellow rose came in with an OG of 1.07. That's a 11.5 gallon batch with 32lbs of grain. That about maxed out the kettle with 18 gallons of strike water View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462378924.391768.jpg

I still want to know the reason the "stand" is at floor level. How do you prime your pump?

Idk on this one. I put my on blocks give it plenty of clearance it would have been nice to have the higher down under stand but just couldn't justify the cost. I like my smaller footprint when not in use

Wow, good to know, It doesnt seem like it could hold that much, but obviously it does... highest so far was 23 i think... and that seemed to be alot...

So my yellow rose came in with an OG of 1.07. That's a 11.5 gallon batch with 32lbs of grain. That about maxed out the kettle with 18 gallons of strike water View attachment 352979

That's kind of my thoughts as well. The Pro model gets you better valves it appears, but I have my existing table I could just set this on top of and be good to go. Worst case build a shorter table if need be, but that is easy and cheap

Bench.jpg

Looks like a good table but you may want it lower. Probably no more than 18-24 inches. I'm amazed that the stand doesn't heat up at all. Being used to propane that's a big change

Looks like a good table but you may want it lower. Probably no more than 18-24 inches. I'm amazed that the stand doesn't heat up at all. Being used to propane that's a big change

The heat's going directly into the liquid -- the kettle is only getting hot because of the hot liquid in it. So the kettle will never get hotter than 212F.

So my yellow rose came in with an OG of 1.07. That's a 11.5 gallon batch with 32lbs of grain. That about maxed out the kettle with 18 gallons of strike water View attachment 352979

Thank you for sharing! Did you think it would be possible to do a ~40 lb batch or would that make the mash too thick? I make huge beers occasionally so was curious about maximum capacity, but that may mean a 5 gal batch instead of 10. :mug:

Thank you for sharing! Did you think it would be possible to do a ~40 lb batch or would that make the mash too thick? I make huge beers occasionally so was curious about maximum capacity, but that may mean a 5 gal batch instead of 10. :mug:

40 lbs might be tough, thinking you may have to break into two batches, but, then again, you are talking to the guy who has a whole two batches under his belt on this system! I will say that start to finish this is a much faster brew day so if you did have to do two you could roll through pretty fast

Don't forget that you don't HAVE to do a full volume mash. In fact, it is probably best that you don't. You can just find one of the many online calculators to see what will fit in a typical 20g mash tun. To be safe you could use 19g to factor in displacement of the basket. Just plug in a 1.25 qt/lb ratio for a typical mash. Then when done, hoist the basket and sparge with the remaining volume. I am fairly certain I read that the sparge water can even be room temperature. The main drawback is you might struggle to do a recirc with a really thick mash. But for example Green Bay Rackers shows that for 40g and a 1.5 qt/lb ratio the mash will take up 18.2g of space.

I've considered this. The folks from Jaded are marketing pretty hard that their products can do it. I might pursue this in the future if I get tired of the plate chiller. But I feel like I need to try more than 3 batches.

I have the "build your own Nano" 20G kettle on order.

Reading through your struggles reminds me of my first couple of brews on a Kal Clone with CFC. Kinks will get worked out along the way. You have already ironed out a lot of them. No system is perfect and with new realms like pumps, changing hoses, CFCs, and propane to electric, I had a large learning curve. Thanks for sharing your experiences and keep us updated as you learn from it.

Ordered! :tank::mug::ban::rockin:
Congrats! Now get ready to wait. I ordered mine (just kettle and basket) on 3/11. Tracking says it's on the truck to be delivered today!
Wait aside, they have been great to deal with, and very responsive in communication.
I'll update when it comes in!

Back